Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Power outage during incubation question  (Read 3406 times)

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
Power outage during incubation question
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:01:03 pm »
Hi everyone ,
I have 5 bantie eggs in my incubator which are now on day 19 so only 2 days to go before hatch day . This morning after the heavy snowfall here in Scotland the power was out from about 7am for 7 hours . My incubator is a brinsea mini advance . I wrapped baco foil  and a blanket around it to try to conserve some heat . It's now back on and temp building up . Has anyone else experienced this ? Is it possible my chicks may still hatch or are they likely to be lost - such a shame as there's only 2 days to go . Many thanks.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Power outage during incubation question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:17:40 pm »
Should be OK with you taking the steps you did. I've had a hen get off the nest and incubate the wrong eggs for four hours, at the most crucial period, early on. They all hatched.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 05:51:27 pm »
I'd think they'll be ok..
might delay hatching a little, but if ther's only two days then they should be pretty strong :)
Little Blue

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:44:47 pm »
I had a Friesian hen who brooded some eggs high up in a hedge. She used to be off the nest for an hour or more on a regular basis. I checked the eggs on lots of occasions and they were stone cold. They all hatched so I think there is a good chance that your eggs will be fine.

Good luck  :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:03:06 pm »
I think, with what you did, they'll be ok  :)

nettelein

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:52:31 pm »
They should be fine, you did all the right things to keep them warm and if the incubator was in a room with average room temperature they'll be fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS