Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rabbit pot roast  (Read 4412 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
rabbit pot roast
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:36:41 pm »
just did 2 whole rabbits cleaned and pot roasted. a little water carrots celery onion and a little sliced garlic. 1clove and 4 allspice berries. about 5 dried bay leaves (always use dried with rabbit) dash of white wine and a dash of brandy. little dried thyme and oregano too. salt and pepper to taste and put the lid on and into a preheated oven 180 fan assisted for 2 hours baste halfway through.

i just made singapore rice with the left over meat for lunch and i got enough gravy left for a good soup tonight! well worth the £2 i paided for them!  :yum:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
Re: rabbit pot roast
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:42 pm »
£2 down here if you are unlucky and have to get them from the butcher it will cost over £3 per kg -
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:03 pm »
£2 down here if you are unlucky and have to get them from the butcher it will cost over £3 per kg -

wow, £1 each all clean skined and trimmed, i get them with the kidneys and livers in too and break them up in the gravy!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 05:03:42 pm »
How come you are buying rabbits when you are overun with them?  If you trap or shoot your own you have the added advantage of the pelts which are lovely when cured (that sounds like I mean to eat the pelts, but I don't  ;D)

Chef Phil - why do you say to use dried bay leaves?  Just asking for interest as I don't have a bay tree anyway.....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 06:04:48 pm »
How come you are buying rabbits when you are overun with them?  If you trap or shoot your own you have the added advantage of the pelts which are lovely when cured (that sounds like I mean to eat the pelts, but I don't  ;D)

Chef Phil - why do you say to use dried bay leaves?  Just asking for interest as I don't have a bay tree anyway.....

they lose their perfume somewhat, which i find most agreeable with a coney pot roast. if you only have fresh then that is better than no bay leaf. i don't shoot myself except for the air rifle as i got hit by a motorbike at 40 mph and it screwed my back and cut off the bottom half of my left leg. getting much better these days and have a great physio but i think shooting live guns will only add to my back problems. i tried trapping them but i think they are wise to that s**t and when i get them off dan they are skinned and cleaned and ready for the pot. health and saftey don't like you skinning game in a clean cooking environment so it is much easier for me all round to buy them clean for £1 i do get partridge whole but these are just for personnel use and a way of teaching kids about the real world. but they do make a great pot roast too with chestnuts and wine with some of my cherry crab jelly!   :bunny:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 11:04:20 pm »
Oh trust me to ask a nosey question  :-[  Your accident sounds horrendous ChairmanPhil so I am doubly amazed at all you do  :trophy:.  I hadn't realised you do your chefing at home, so no skinning of naughty rabbits seems sensible.  When my OH was in the Air Force we ate lots of rabbits from the airfield, but we haven't had one for an age now.
That's interesting about the bay - I hadn't thought of that, but then that's why you're a chef and I cook just for my family  :D  I do love your recipes  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18:10 pm »
Oh trust me to ask a nosey question  :-[  Your accident sounds horrendous ChairmanPhil so I am doubly amazed at all you do  :trophy:.  I hadn't realised you do your chefing at home, so no skinning of naughty rabbits seems sensible.  When my OH was in the Air Force we ate lots of rabbits from the airfield, but we haven't had one for an age now.
That's interesting about the bay - I hadn't thought of that, but then that's why you're a chef and I cook just for my family  :D  I do love your recipes  :yum:

my old dad loves rabbit. he says use dried for a coney and fresh for a chicken! yeah that bike hit me hard! TBH there have been one or 2 event horizons in this short life and a story or 2 from the travelling years. the path less travelled sure got a lot of stones!  8)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS