Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cockerel bullying hen  (Read 2547 times)

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
cockerel bullying hen
« on: March 21, 2012, 05:32:39 pm »
Hi all ,
I have a 6 month old orpington bantie cockerel running free range with 6 hens . He has just recently started bullying my light sussex hen . Not attacking her as such ( at the moment ) , but especially at feeding time he goes for her and chases her away & has made it quite clear he don't like her !  He gets on with all the others fine and is often seen mounting . I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of behaviour ? Will it pass or is there anyting I could / should be doing ?  I feel really sorry for her , she's been here for a few years and I hate to think of her living in fear of this cockerel. Although he's very hansome my feeling at the moment is shape up or ship out ! Any comments much appreciated .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: cockerel bullying hen
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:26:36 pm »
As you say - shape up or ship out  :chook:  Does he have a purpose other than to look good? Are you breeding from him?  If not, then of course hens don't need a cockerel amongst them and they are often happier without.  We have several superfluous cockerels at the moment and we are working our hungry way through them.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: cockerel bullying hen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:49:50 pm »
Our pet cockerel Bottom, a large Buff Orpington, dislikes Wyandottes. All Wyandottes and only Wyandottes, colour not important. He chases them away or attacks them, which must be very confusing for them, being part of the same flock. The oldest, Lulu, is 3 now and has been chased away every day for the last 2 1/2 years. It hasn't distracted from her laying but it could easily do. Fortunately for her he is only around 3 hours a day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS