Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grass Sickness  (Read 8665 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Grass Sickness
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 02:57:47 pm »
As far as I know the North of Scotland is a hot spot for it but it is all over.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 03:28:34 pm »
The pony PTS certainly sounds like grass sickness to me with green stuff being expelled from the nostrils. Thats not a colic symptom! Id be wondering about that vet....:-(

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 10:05:43 pm »
Well, its academic really as the pony is dead whatever and we will never have a definative answer now.

Having said that I have always had an interest in grass sickness and that was my first thought when I saw the green stuff.

I have to say, I have never seen such a sick looking pony - considering I had seen him two days earlier in rude health. I took a photo of him just in case the owner asks.

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 11:53:05 pm »
i have known at least 20 horses/ponys that got grass sickness in edinburgh in my honist thought better to pts than get treatment they never come right and most die anyway

its a horrible thing and can come on with no warning its such a shame they dont know what causes it but its werd that 3 yards in the space of 3 miles square have had so many cases

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 09:09:19 am »
There seems to be 2 types, one kills within hours while the other can go on for weeks. Sadly even that is horrible to nurse as the poor animal can end up skin and bone. You would think after all these years of research they would have an answer to cause and cure.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS