Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparation of ewes for lambing  (Read 2469 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Preparation of ewes for lambing
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:47:28 am »
Our ewes are due to lamb in mid-April. I am planning to get them in at the end of March for heptavac and foot trim.

Should I be giving them a vitamin drench and changing their lick then too?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Preparation of ewes for lambing
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:25 am »
You need to give Heptavac at least 4 weeks before lambing to ensure that the lamb get maximum passive immunity.

I don't drench mine - they have a mineral lick (Yellow Rockie) and a Crystalyx Standard bucket out plus they get a bit of cake from 6 weeks prior to lambing.

I do their feet, work and fluke them after lambing and just before I put them out on to clean grazing with their new lambs. I wouldn't turn heavily pregnant ewes to do their feet routinely. If one was lame, I'd check her feet in a standing position, like a horse.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:16:34 pm »
Definately leave the feet 'till they have lambed. It won't do then any good to turn them over when they are only a couple of weeks off. Leave whatever you can to do post lambing. They don't need to be stressed right now.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:06:14 pm »
Ditto all of that, handle as little as possible.

Mine have been having cake now for a few weeks and my Rough Fells would have had a lick by now too, the Shetlands haven't.

I do their feet when they've lambed if they need it - I did them when I gathered them to scan, and I worm and fluke them before I turn them out with their lambs.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS