Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the cider was a success  (Read 15743 times)

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
Re: the cider was a success
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 09:50:26 pm »
just get some of your own you wont regret it as i tuck into gammon steaks :farmer:

it is one of the plans we have. Need to find the time to get a few things sorted 1st.  :pig:

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Started 75 litres yesterday
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 12:30:42 pm »
This seems to be the general cider commentary thread so I thought I'd revive it rather than start a new one.

First time cider making! :party:

What a great day, genuinely warm sun, friends and beers. 75 litres from 145 kg apples, using a domestic juicer!

Starting gravity 1050 so mostly will leave unsweetened but might "turbo" a few DJs when I rack, with some extra sugar.

2/3rds is sulphited, pectolased and awaiting champagne yeast and nutrient, 1/3rd will go "wild" and totally untreated.

Loads more pics and words here on my blog.

also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 02:04:26 pm »
Excellent! Keep us posted with the results please.

Was the juice itself palatable, or was drinking it verboten?!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 02:47:17 pm »
I can't believe that your "juicer " survived such hard work and welcome to the wrinkley finger club. We made just 25 litres of te stuff from apples we collected from the roadside ( no fruit at all in our vilage - first time in 21 years).

Our sp gravity was also 1050 but we kept it natural and in a plastic bucket. We put an airlock in after 2 days and it started It is bubbling awat behind me after a slow start ( 2 days inactive).

The stuff we made last using cider yeast spent 2 weeks frozen solid ( -20 ) and was drunk over the summer ( with caution - 6%  :thumbsup: ).

Can you let us know how your 2 different brews get on at each stage and how the end products compare. Cheers Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 07:04:53 pm »
Will do! Thanks for the positive comments  ;D   :thumbsup:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 11:01:29 am »
Hello,
This year with a bumper crop I ran short of 20 L flessen corked, with the pressure lock so am trying an oak barrel, firkin size, for the first time. Reading here I gather others do use barrels for initial storage before racking though I was advised locally against its use. It seems clear then that oak barrel storage and cider are not incompatible but I'd like to hear the steps that others using this specific technique use. Something like: fill the barrel to x, cork it, hammering the cork in good and tight, let stand till New Years, pull the cork and siphon into bottles and let stand in the cellar till summer, that sort of thing.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 05:00:25 pm »
Donald -good luck with the wooden firkin- sorry I have no knowledge of using these and this is only our second time using a plastic bucket !
Just an update.
Start date - apples squeezed in a press on 27th Sept.
We "racked" the cider on Sunday so as to remove the "clearing" huice from the sediment. this was the simple squeezed apple method - no sterilization or added yeast.
Specific gravity was 1000 on sunday. We had made a 700g sugar solution and added it still warm.
We started with 25 litres and after racking and added sugar solution we now have 23 litres bubbling away again. Cleared very well.
We will bottle into plastic lemonade bottles like last year.
Will keep you informed.
- good luck with the oak   
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 07:32:13 pm »
Domnald, your cork may blow out :o  Good luck!

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 09:11:13 pm »
Domnald, your cork may blow out :o  Good luck!
I have found this to be the case, even after several rackings. I generally keep stuff under airlock now. Not sure if this is the "correct" way, but it works for me.

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 07:10:42 am »
Hello,

Blow-out was the main thing I was trying to get at there.

So then in the OBF method how would this be resolved, is the question that begs answering.

What about storing the full barrel down in the kelder with its moderate but consistent temperature - not ideal for the fermentation however which is sort of the point of cider now.

Greetings,

Don

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 07:39:23 am »
Is it fizzy cider you're after? I would air-lock your barrel 'til fermentation stops altogether then put some sugar in and bung up. You will know then how much sugar is in there, just enough to cause a secondary fermentation but not enough to blow the bung. About a teaspoonful per gallon would do, I should think.

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 12:33:58 pm »
Hello Sylvia,

yes the way you describe it is indeed what I'm after and have had in the past and was just not sure about particulars in the OBF way but I am going to proceed with your recommendations so thanks, most helpful.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 11:41:52 pm »
Bottled ours on the weekend

52 litres in the end. Half will be conditioned, half still. Some given a sugar (i.e. alcohol) boost to about 8.5% ABV, some at about 6%.
More info on the blog if you are interested. Cheers

also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 04:42:50 pm »
Hello,

Mine from this year still almost blow the corks once I've taken the wire clamps off and it takes 3 or 4 minutes to gradually release pressure, so I have to wonder why. After the ordeal is over though I'm pretty pleased with the result, that is to say, how it all goes over the lip.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS