Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: this years tomatoes  (Read 52304 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
Re: this years tomatoes
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2012, 08:05:44 pm »
we are having photo bucket trouble, when we have it sorted then there will be updates but until then............................here is some music!

ah.....we don't have time for the tune.......
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2012, 08:14:03 pm »
ta phil, the next generation is in the bottom black pot. ive taken cuttings from the big one, and theyve just about taken. the big mother plant has a few flowers open so ill start feeding this weekend. ive a bin of stinky water in the tunnel thats had a bucket of neat chicken s..t fermenting in for a fortnight, and ive peed in it a few times for good measure :o
 theyre cordon toms, but i havent staked them yet, i know people say stake them straight away but i reckon if you leave it till the fruit forms, the 'trunk' gets thicker and more capable of carrying water. ill stake them as the fruit forms and the plant gets heavy.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2012, 11:55:58 pm »
My plants in the greenhouse (unheated) don't appear to have grown since I put them in there.  However, the ones in the house which will be going outside in buckets are getting quite big.  Must be the heat that's making the difference.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2012, 06:58:15 am »
Yes it's definitely the heat. I notice that on warm days they grow a bit more. Hey ho - it'll soon be summer  ;D ;D ;D ;D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2012, 08:59:10 am »
the plants i have in the hothouse are double what i have in the unheated greenhouse.
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2012, 12:05:25 am »
Yes it's definitely the heat. I notice that on warm days they grow a bit more. Hey ho - it'll soon be summer  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think that was in March.  we are now in autumn.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2012, 09:24:50 pm »
got most of them outside now, running out of glass room! all seem to be doing well at the moment!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2012, 08:35:52 am »
i found mt first green fruit yesterday yay!!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2012, 03:12:15 pm »
i found mt first green fruit yesterday yay!!

got flowers everywhere, shouldn't have to wait long now.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2012, 08:39:08 pm »
 :o :o :o mine are no where near flowering.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »
i pulled a couple of plants out of their pots today that i had buried when they got leggy. it had strong root stock from every part that was under the soil! as a result of this technique i have so many tomato plants i can do this and not even notice the loss!  :D

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2012, 07:29:18 pm »
they are all doing very well indeed. got my first green fruits appearing!  :thumbsup:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2012, 07:30:59 pm »
will be doing a bit of the old David Bailey tomorrow so will pop up some shots of my little effots tomorrow night!

by the way my artichokes have gone mad and are massive!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2012, 07:32:23 pm »
my artichokes are sulking. hmph
toms are flying tho!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2012, 07:34:13 pm »
my artichokes are sulking. hmph
toms are flying tho!

i'll do ya a shot of the chokes too then!  :D having a very good tomato year this year thanx to all the tips!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS