Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: this years tomatoes  (Read 52214 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: this years tomatoes
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2012, 04:02:32 pm »
Hi Kerstin, glad to be back, but much more selective in what i post and trying, really, to be a good girl and behave myself  :eyelashes: :eyelashes: :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »
just finished another pomodoro harvest. had 100's if not 1,000's this year. been good!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2012, 06:46:37 pm »
good stuff m8. :thumbsup:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2012, 07:40:48 pm »
ell I've got hundreds of green ones but they are only ripening very slowly.

The taste is a bit disappointing swell. I did Gardener's Delight this year as my friend's GDs were so delicious last year.

But - lots of lessons learnt this year so......
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2012, 07:55:39 pm »
Disaster struck. Went away for the weekend and came back to a polytunnel full of tomato blight plants   :rant:

Glad I left a few in tubs in the yard  :relief: but lost 12 plants, beef tomatoes and plum tomatoes  :'(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2012, 08:48:33 pm »
blight is still puzzling me. why 2 plants in the same tunnel and the ones in the growbags? I would have thought it would get the ones in soil as I had it last year in the other bed  ??? ??? :&>

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2012, 07:45:41 am »
we lost our entire crop in the polytunnel this year to blight :'( ...not sure how to go about prevention for next year...anyone any ideas??

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2012, 10:03:08 am »
I'm just about to spray all mine with bordeaux mixture as it looks like the cukes over the other side of the polytunnel have got a spot of mouldy somethingorother

Good info on RHS website here:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=217

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2012, 10:11:05 am »
Thanks SQ, wonder if having the poly closed up over bank holiday weekend caused it here. Warm and humid with watering excessively to ensure they didn't dry out while we were away  :-\

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2012, 10:25:51 am »
pretty sure that lack of fresh air influx plays a big part.  :&>

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2012, 10:32:45 am »
Yes - I expect that will have played a part.

We don't surface water our tomatoes any more to avoid that problem and I've had the polytunnel side vent open all "summer" but still we have a bit of mould creeping in  :rant: :rant:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2012, 11:07:13 am »
watering through the ground just made one difference here, no more split tomatoes.  :&>

deepinthewoods

« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2012, 07:30:16 pm »
pretty sure that lack of fresh air influx plays a big part.  :&>
absolutely. no tunnel should be closed ever really. temperature shoouldnt take priority over air flow. much better to have a cooler tunnel and no mould.
also the effect of plant respiration soon leads to a lack of oxygen that stunts growth and leads to the 'greenhouse effect'
my small tunnel has never been closed and i have all the vents open permanantly. ill only start to close them down as the nights average 5 ish degrees.
if you have viable plants left to crop, remove all affected growth, hose the thing down and open all the vents. :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2012, 07:39:58 pm »
Thanks all  :thumbsup: just new to polytunnel this year. BIG lesson learned -don't close doors!  :dunce:

I've left the plants in that have a few unaffected tomatoes but the leaves and stems are all affected badly. Would it be a better idea to just remove the lot or wait and see if the fruits make it?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2012, 07:43:46 pm »
theres nothing lost in harvesting green tomatos, often they will ripen if the skins are sound. if the plants have had it i would take off the fruit and ripen indoors, or eat them green.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS