Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: muscovey eggs  (Read 2977 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
muscovey eggs
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:33:53 pm »
The snow has started to thaw and this time last year we had 16 degrees before it gradually warmed up to a warm spring. Since the ducks have been laying almost daily do you think it too early for me to leave them a clutch. They have a 4 feet high shed with straw in a south facing pen. No heat lamp.
Any thought about the muscovey having little ones this time of the year?

Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: muscovey eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:33:05 pm »
The trouble is the duck won't leave them in their cosy nest, she'll drag them about with her through all the snow, rain and freezing weather. I should wait until mid-April at the earliest :)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:15:30 pm »
I was tempted with my muskies, but then thought about the snow and ice.
Muscovy egg omelet is the most delicious thing ever! :yum: :yum: 
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:27:23 pm »
I must say that although they are not good lookers they keep popping  eggs and ours are good mums. The egg yolks are big with hardly any white. The meat is fantastic with the boys weighing in at 3 kg all cleaned and ready for the kitchen.

I guess if I were to give them a couple of weeks to get a clutch then 30 odd days to hatch that may still be too early in the year for the ducklings. Maybe in 3-4 weeks I will leave them alone to start a clutch.

Another question - Any thoughts of how will they react to new mates?. Someone is giving away some Muscovies and it would suite to put them all together.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:28 pm »
I must say that although they are not good lookers

ahh they are beautiful!!  :D :D ;)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:28:24 pm »
I'm going to wait a month too, and I will hopefully be adding another one soon, i'll let you know :wave:
They are not the brightest though are they?
I have had mine for 8 months, and TODAY they found the brook/river that flows 10 yards from the front of their house ::) (I say found, I actually mean got picked up and deposited in said brook, then realised what was there and went back later ALL BY THEM SELVES!!) ::)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:54:57 pm »
We clipped their wing but one managed to fly over the fence after growing new feathers. Three more escapes before we had scissors to hand - just to make sure the OH clipped both wings. The bugger can still fly of course and she enjoyed another chase thru the sprouts today.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 05:33:19 pm »
arent you only supposed to clip one wing, so they feel off balance when they try to fly, or at least just go round in circles?

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:01:16 pm »
Yes only clip one wing as this puts them off balance. Clipping wings works on all my poultry except the Appenzellers, those buggers could fly with no wings :o
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS