Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Curious  (Read 3176 times)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Curious
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:00:54 pm »
I went to shut the chooks up tonight and my Orpington cockeral was covered in blood. Thinking one of the other boys had had a scrap with him I checked them all over. Not a speck of blood on any of the other boys. I then inspected the girls, nothing. So I have no idea what happened there. Luckily he is ok, just bloodied around his wattles and comb and looking sorry for himself.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Curious
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:38:08 pm »
poor chap, hope he and the others are okay ...
Little Blue

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »
I've had a similar thing with some of my white Leghorn hens, I went to lock them up and it looked like a bloodbath on their feathers. They turned out to have cuts on their combs caused by being pecked by some of the other birds in the flock.
They healed up very quickly but just make sure that they're not being bullied as once hens see blood they keep going back to peck at it.

Good luck.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »
sounds like bullying. just keep an eye on him if you want to keep him? is he treading?  was he outside on his own? is he beating up the others/ have been beating the others?

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:31:56 am »
mine do that occassionally. someone beaten him up, poor thing, with mine is usually another cockeral and theyl both be filthy dirty to (mine r white)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:54:18 am »
ours do that...... when the wattle is pecked it squirts everywhere and is quite a shock :o
a bit like varicose veins popping in the bathrooms!! ;D ::) (or supermarkets ::)
Mx

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:54:14 pm »
a bit like varicose veins popping in the bathrooms!! ;D ::) (or supermarkets ::)

Eugghh!! :D
Little Blue

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:10:09 pm »
We had an Orpington top cockerel called '10 point' ,from his comb shape. The second in the pecking order was '7 point'. One morning 10 point was 9 and covered in blood. Next morning 9 point was 8 and more blood. Turns out 7 point used to wait and attack him when he went into the coop, because he was the last in and his eyes hadn't adjusted to the darkness he couldn't see the attack coming. Of course 7 point was so quickly in and away he didn't get blood on himself and ate the evidence! But I caught him in the act the following night.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:14:57 pm »
Orpington cock is now fine. He is treading hens but only the ones that belong to him. I have not seen any of the other cocks beating him up and he is in his house with only other hens at night. I will be separating the cocks when spring is finally sprung as I will be hatching eggs. They all go out together in the winter when hormones are less vigorous ;)
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:46 am »
I went out last night to a very strange sight, both my RIR and buff Orpington cockerals totally soaked to the bone. Can only think they had had a to do and had fallen in the water trough mid scrap. Donuts.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:05:50 pm »
We got given a coq that was the sole survivor of his dad's bloody battles with other coqs. The dad now has one eye and trips over things and took a real pasting. He was called Nelson
We got given the survivor and  thought that we should name him Napoleon -
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS