Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scaly leg mite..  (Read 6710 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Scaly leg mite..
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:13:25 am »
What a weekend - after sending pigs off on Friday and sheep death also on Friday (see sheep post) yesterday noticed that our semi wild old cockrel (we inherited him with property - he does stay with the flock and sleep in the hen house, but no chance of handling him) had one leg thicker than other - cant get very close but suspect scaly leg mite.  Had a look at treatments here and else where and think that dipping his legs in white spirirt (or anything) twice a week for 3 weeks is a non starter - I might manage to sneak in when they are roosting and spray but from a distance....  Any suggestions? (other hens 4 ex bats and 2 1 x yr olds not showing any signs but handleable) ???

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Scaly leg mite..
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:53:08 am »
Sorry you're having a rough time.

You'll have to herd the cockerel into a corner somewhere and throw a blanket over him!

You have sheep, so do you have some Crovect?

My old cockerel had scaly leg mite. I put some Crovect in a jamjar, dipped his feet/legs in one at a time, once, and the problem was solved. It's the fastest, most effective solution I've tried. I suppose it isn't usually suggested cos not all poultry folk have access to sheep pour-on  :)

If you don't already have Crovect, you might get some anyway as it's the best thing I've found against flystrike and other nasty itchy things, I treat my sheep every 4-6 weeks in the summer.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:11:08 pm »
You should be able to catch him easily when its dark and treat him then, that's what I do its easy, I use ivamectin   
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:35:28 pm »
If you really can't handle him, put some Crovect in a handspray and then creep up on him in the hen house when it is completely dark.  Use a small torch to get your aim, then give his legs a good squirt!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 01:41:09 pm »
Brilliant, many thanks I will do that tomorrow (Dont have crovect yet, but will get some tomorrow and add it on to my sheepy schedule too).  Many many thanks.

Oh and do you do the rest of the flock too (assuming that they will have it and not be showing yet), or wait untill they do show? ???    Thanks :chook:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:25:35 pm by FiB »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 08:40:09 pm »
I keep an eye on mine and just do ones that show signs of it.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 09:07:55 pm »
You can get scaley leg mite spray from Countrywide. It works really well. I agree it's best to spray when they're roosting, though with the hens I just grab them, spray and down, leaving them slightly bemused !

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:48:04 pm »
Ivomec pour on works too. Dunno if you are 'allowed' to use it though :-[
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:18:36 pm »
went to vet to get result of sheep worm tests and mentioned it - they gave me a tiny syringe worth of Enovex , which is a spot skin treatment (to be placed on skin at back of neck) based on Ivomectin.  Only £2.  I'm well impressed with my vet practice - they will sell you the exact amount that you need , without any add on charges - a great boon when you only have a few animals.  Just got to catch the beggar by surprise in the morning now.  Blanket/towel at the ready!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 02:26:06 pm »
I know this is an old thread but need a bit of advise, since the lock down I have a bird who had a wee bit of scaly leg but on further examination today it looks quite thick. I have crovect so can do that, I also have ivermectim so can do that,
Do I do both? Or just 1? I am tempted to dip in crovect as since lock down my egg production has increased tenfold and I don't really want egg withdrawal.

Also if I dip in crovect, is that sufficient or will I apply Vaseline or sudocrem

Any advice appreciated, wanting to get birds in tip top condition before chicken run on the 6th
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 04:20:32 pm »
 I always use ivermectin.
 The pigeon men (so I am told) dilute it x 10 with water and stand the birds in it for a while - presumably till the scaly bits are saturated.
 I usually dilute it (about 2x) with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and put drops onto the legs with a small syringe until all the crusty bits are wet. I also put a few drops on the bird's comb and neck skin (where they don't preen) and it worms them internally as well as killing any red mite.

You can use it undiluted but the dose for a hen is so small that I prefer to dilute it so have a bigger volume to apply more widely.

Permethrin will also work on their legs, without anything else.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 05:27:35 pm »
I always use ivermectin.
 I usually dilute it (about 2x) with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and put drops onto the legs with a small syringe until all the crusty bits are wet. I also put a few drops on the bird's comb and neck skin (where they don't preen) and it worms them internally as well as killing any red mite.
I have successfully used white spirit on scaly leg in the past.  Under the hackle feathers behind the head works quite well for ivermectin.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 06:14:25 pm »
I use Ivermectin too, I would just stick to one type of treatment, some of that stuff will be absorbed through the skin, double dosing could end up with a very ill bird.
It seems both treatments are very effective so no need for both.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS