Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE  (Read 2812 times)

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:01:51 pm »
Hi, I'm getting a little confused on the movement of sheep, can anyone help.
Sheep to be moved by new owner, 90 miles.about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour journey,
Movement Licence (as normal)
WATO autherization?
Certificate of competence?

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:45:14 pm »
If new owner is buying them as any part of a commercial enterprise then he/she needs to pass a wee potty test in animal handling, trailer cleaning and general job creation for each animal IF they are to be transported over 45mi or is it km. 

We brought our first breeding stock about 90 miles without bothering on the grounds that they were pet sheep.  If they're for hobby use, showing or other private use then they can be taken to the North Pole and back as incompetently as you like. 

I think the following link is a good starting point.  Be warned you can lose the will to live reading this stuff.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/animals/welfare/transport/

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:19:10 pm »
Hi, thank you FS, I feel so much better, we are just hobby breeders and I was getting confused as to just what we needed. We moved our goats over 150 miles and just sent off the movement licence.
Thanks again

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:40:03 pm »
Just remember that there is a skill to moving animals safely and happily and it's worth learning.  You should think about taking the test or at the very least being completely aware of the stuff it covers.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:49:29 pm »
Hi, A very good point SM, I have always felt that if you have empathy with your animals you will know what is right or wrong, but I take your point and you really do need to understand what is right, guidelines are good but I sometimes feel do not go into enough detail.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:07:59 pm »
Empathy goes a long way, but there's being able to tow a trailer, especially if a single axle, without addling the poor things too.

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:17:53 pm »
Hi, quite right,. which is why I said in my original post that the journy of 90 miles would take brtween 2 1/2 to 3 hours, probably longer knowing my husband!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS