Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help with Fireweed- (Rosebay willowherb)  (Read 6589 times)

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
Help with Fireweed- (Rosebay willowherb)
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:23:55 pm »

We have finally moved on to our new smallholding  and amongst all the 100s of things that need doing I have noticed that about 2/3 of the land is infested with the dead stalks of fireweed (rosebay willowherb).  Does anyone know of a cost/time effective way of removing or reducing this stuff.  Will goats eat it, I have read that parts can be eaten by humans so it cannot be poisonous.  Possibly pigs will root out the roots too.
With all the other stuff that needs doing in my decrepit place I am not going to get time to dig it out this this year and I want to at the very least stop it getting any worse.

thanks for any sugestions

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Help with Fireweed- (Rosebay willowherb)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:37:32 pm »
Goats will definitely eat it and you can make great hay from it, to improve their winter diet.
But if you just keep cutting it, you'll get rid of it, it's really not difficult stuff to deal with  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:01:10 pm »
it will be good soil  if willowherb is growing there :farmer:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:04:20 pm »
And the stalks and seeds (fluff) are fantastic firestarters so gather the stalks whenever you are wondering the fields.....I have bundles and bundles in my shed!

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:54:23 am »
We had about 1/2 acre of rose bay and our flock of 6 Shetland sheep have totally eradicated it in 2 years.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:03:52 am »
My ponies love it  ;D Be glad - there are far worse things your land could be infested by ;)

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:49:24 pm »
Thank you all for the reassurance, I’m glad it’s not going to be the problem I thought it was. Maybe I will try and find a couple of goats this spring to deal with it.

For the moment  just trying to get the house habitable, the steadings usable /safe and wondering where to put, veg, trees, chickens, etc, etc, etc. I Need a plan but at the moment it’s all just bubbling around in my head!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS