Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bl@@dy tom cat!  (Read 2695 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Bl@@dy tom cat!
« on: January 30, 2012, 08:18:14 am »
I got up this morning and ventured into the kitchen to find toby on his bed and the dredful smell of cat pee. As i wandered into the dining area off the kitchen I found that 3 of my plants had been knocked off the window sill and the the floor was govered in soil, broken plant holders and crushed flowers. Polly was not in her bed and the walls and window sills were covered in cat paw prints. Thes smell of cat pee was getting stronger so I followed it along the utility block and into the office which was also littered with paw prints and knocked over things.

The door from the offeice which leads to the garage was open and as polly appeared from within tobys tail turned into a loo brush until their noses met.

It took me about an hour to clean up the mess and track down all the places that the offending intruder had sprayed. OH finally tracked the "black panther" down in the footwell of my classic car and let him out of the garage.

Looks like the cat flap will have to be decommissioned!

:( Buffy

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Bl@@dy tom cat!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:53:58 am »
Oh dear...

You can get collars with magnetic thingies and a matching magnetic thingy for your cat flap, so that only your cats can go through - but I know you don't put collars on them, so that's probably not an option for you.

I accidentally discovered that an opening-outwards-only cat flap was a good choice - your own cats pretty soon learn to hook the flap up and towards them with a claw but marauders won't know that trick. :D

However, the choice I always made was to have a dog my side of the cat flap.  Never got marauders!   :D  (And my old cat, Mix, used to sometimes come running home and call for me to let the dog out to see off the neighbourhood Cat Brotherhood who were chasing him with evil intent!   :D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:55:35 am »
Buffy I can sympathise as we had the same problem.  I really didn't want to decomission the flap as it gave the cat her independence and she doesn't like litter trays.

The smell of cat pee is very difficult to get rid of too.

Since we bought our puppy we haven't seen our intruder though.  :thumbsup:

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:27:58 am »
I can set the cat flap so you cant get in ( it was actually set so you cant get out) but then my cats cant get back in either.

I dont know if Poppy and Toby tried to see him off hence all the carnage but I wanted to take the jet washer to him in the hope that I might deter him from visiting again.

The cats will just have to get kicked out every day and find somewhere to hide till I come back home

Grrrr

Buffy

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:17:37 am »
Buffy
I would suggest trying what SallyintNorth suggested.  Set the flap for out only.  The cats should learn how to pick the flap up to come back in rather than just having to push it.
It would be a good idea to show them a couple of times but they should get the hang of it.

Even though my flap is set for two way traffic my cat always picks the flap up to come in.
Sally

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:46:06 am »
ok,

I will give it ago! Igt toby who is the gadget monkey and has the paw dexteritiy for devices. He even uses his paw to lift up food on the far side of his bowl and bring it closer to his mouth to avoud having to move his body.

Buffy

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:06:55 am »
Ah well if Toby is that good he should have no problem with lifting up the cat flap.  Good luck
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS