Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New triplets, feeding advice needed  (Read 4354 times)

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
New triplets, feeding advice needed
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:01:40 am »
Hi all,
Hannah our Nubian had triplets yesterday, two boys and a girl, they're big kids, but seem to be doing well, I need some advice as how much to feed Hannah, we keep her manger filled with silage and she's happily munching away on that, however with the hard feed has anyone an idea of how much I should feed her now she's feeding three kids, we have dairy nuts, rolled barley and corn and sugar beet available, I just want to make sure Mum and babies are getting everything they need and I know you guys are the best people to ask.

Thanks in advance

Bríd :goat:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: New triplets, feeding advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:02:31 pm »
I'm not sure about amounts, but i think its best not to up the feed just yet as you want to avoid her producing huge amounts of milk quickly. Slow and steady with upping the amounts should be grand. Someone else will be able to tell you rough amounts. Congratulations by the way :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:25:56 pm »
start her sowly on dairy nuts or anything else high in protein, but shreds are ok at this stage. She should be coming up to her full daily ration (which is about 250g per litre milk plus another 500g for maintenance), I would take her up to that over at east a week.

However I fed my milkers a lot more and they are not fat, so check her condition.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:50:54 pm »
congratulations :D

She'll let you know if she's still hungry (I know ours do!)
It can be hard to judge "by eye" after kidding - they seem so thin, and with carrying three she'll  have had a belly on her! ;)  so take it steady and keep the hay / silage rack full
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:42:14 pm »
As everyone says, steady away to build up the ration, let her rumen adjust. After that I'd give her ad lib high-protein concentrates to be honest (ie dairy nuts) as she's highly unlikely to get fat feeding 3.

PS where are the photos   ;)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:35:36 am »
Hi Brid,

The average ration of concentrates for most dairy goats is around 2kg daily.. split between 2 or 3 feeds.
As other have said , you achieve this slowly.

With the new mineral  balancer you may not need this amount.... only time and the condition of the goat will decide this.

As long as she is eating suffiently you won't have any problems.

Give me a ring to chat about it, if you like.

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:50:04 am »
Hi all, thanks for the advice, I had her on dairy nuts before she kidded so Ill just slowly up her rations, she is FOREVER  hungry ;D regardless of being pregnant or not and Ill get photos up asap, horrible day here, dark and wet so waiting until I get them in a good light before I show them off, they really are beautiful and she's a great mum, wytsend Im going to order the mineral on monday (when I get paid) so looking forward to giving them that as well,

Once again thanks  :thumbsup:

Bríd

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 01:38:56 pm »
I don't know if it helps anyone else's budgeting, but Kim told me they are happy to do a 30 day invoice. i rang to ask her if she would reserve me a bucket till payday, and she sent it out with an invoice for me :thumbsup:
Excellent service :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 06:45:32 pm »
Just a wee question for those who have purchased the new mineral - does it still have the strong fishy smell - my girls seemed to be very fussy when trying the sample as as they are in kid (3 due in 2 weeks and 3 due in 5 weeks now) I didn't want them not eating but if it's not quite the same then I would give it another go sooner rather than later - thanks
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 01:05:14 am »
Brucklay, it's not as strong as it was before as the salmon oil has been swapped for fish oil.  YOu can always wean them onto it by putting a tiny amount in for a day or two then increasing until you are at full amount.  MIne gave it a funny look at first but soon ate it.  MInd you, they were ok with it the first time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS