Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coal or Wood Burning?  (Read 23059 times)

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
Coal or Wood Burning?
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:19:52 am »
Hi..we have a coal fire in our cottage at present but are due to renovate, therfore I was wondering what is considered the best source of heat?
I like the coal fire but fear we may be losing most of the heat up the lum, a friend prefers wood burners any day...
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

deepinthewoods

Re: Coal or Wood Burning?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:37:33 am »
i installed  a woodburner in autumn, in anticipation of a cold winter, it makes so much difference, you lose 80%of the heat up the chimney with a coal fire.
there are sites where you can work out what heat output you need for the size room you have.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:02:20 am »
WOODBURNER! it's so much nicer to deal with and altho I love open fires you will really relish the extra heat and the ease of leaving it lit all safe.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:45:56 am »
We put a log burning stove in last March. It runs 8 radiators over 3 floors with some of the circuit going out into the barn and returning into the house upstairs. The pump is behind the stove/wall in our utility room and we have an expansion tank in the loft ( vented to outside).The stove has a thermostat that you can adjust- this controls the flow of  air into the back of the burner. This is OK but if you have no fuel (wood) then despite lots of oxygen it will not heat up.
Essentially - don't expect the instant heat or temperature regulation with wood that you get with gas or oil and keep the stove on all day for the building to soak up the heat. We are very pleased with the system and the heat output is great.

Key point - have you got space near the house to store all the seasoned logs and can you stack about a cubic meter of wood next to the fire to keep it going all day.

There is lot to consider when buying a stove but others on this site have previously discussed this too. Size of stove vs room size and space to heat. some have backboilers for hotwater with other fuel used in the summer months. Key is the need for a header/expansion tank if the stove is running rads.

Hope you have a good supply of wood and it is not too expensive there.

Cheers Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:45 am »
I do love the romantic idea of an open fire.  We have a woodburner which throws out the heat, especially if you use some coal on it too.  And from a safety point of view it's good to know you can go out and not worry about it.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:49:39 am »
 it mines 14kw and i can run all day on about a third of a m3

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:54:56 am »
yes I ex agerated about the space needed ( woodt burned a day)  for an indoor wood store but it is worth considering.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 09:10:14 am »
Both!  We have recently replaced both our stoves and found  its a struggle to buy dedicated woodburners - most are multifuel so you will have that flexibilty if you choose.  Saying that we made sure that we chose ones that were more suited to woodburning (large firebox, fine low great to allow accumulation of ash if needed).  We have one clearview (Fab, highly adjustable, VERY meagre on log demands, Very expensive at £1050) and one Prity boiler stove (huge, not very adjustable, bit industrial loking, but absolutely fabulous as a main cental heating boiler stove and a real bargain at £400).  I have a couple of bags of coal ready which I will use if we ever get a winter here and I need to keep the fires in overnight, but both been running lovely on wood all 'winter'.  Fitting was a fortune though - to have our chimneys redone and central heating plumbed to the stove (plus new tanks radiators etc)was ove £5K. ouch.

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 09:35:33 am »
This is what I love about this forum...quick, worthwhile points of view...fantastic..
We have oil heating for radiators and water, coal fire is not essential and more "cosmetic" than anything, but still want it to be efficient...like the idea of wood burners and coal...
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:23:47 pm »
half a scuttle of coal in mine lasts about 8hours with it shutdown. so nice to get up to a warm house.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 06:12:05 pm »
Certainly a stove will give you much more warmth than an open fire.

I burn both wood and coal in mine. I like wood in that I like the flame, I like the ash and I like the fact that I have a great heap of it from chopping down an old rotten tree.
But. If I really need to be warm, I need to put coal in the stove, at least for some of the evening - it puts out way more heat than wood.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 07:04:07 pm »
Wood

We've got two, and they don't cool down overnight and do make the place cosy which the radiators don't.  When it's cold we get through 20kg of wood a day, recently about 8kg.  I buy compressed sawdust logs for stock and then scour the area for stuff to cut. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:28:31 pm »
please ... recommend me an affordable place to look at woodburners :)
Little Blue

deepinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 07:30:31 pm »
its not the burner that costs its the fitting of the flue, you can get a good 14kw burner for 400. doubt you could get the flue done for less than 1k, unless you did it yourself of course.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:20:27 pm »
we would perhaps be fitting it where there is currently a gas fire, but used to be an open fire. the chimmney is just capped I think..
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS