Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plastic lamb 'jackets'  (Read 19756 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Plastic lamb 'jackets'
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 06:21:56 pm »
How big are the adults?
They are soooo lovely  ;D

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 08:32:03 pm »
Adult rams can weigh 80-100kg, ewes generally 60kg. They are a bit of a lump to turn over, but are pretty sedate once tipped up.  :sheep:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 08:55:31 pm »
Used the jackets a few times in poor weather, very handy if the weather is wet. The bright colours are handy for spotting lambs that are in the wrong place. The thing to remember is the ewe is colour blind so it matters not a jot about the colour of the jacket. I often tuck the tail of the jacket up and under it'self to leave the lambs tail and bum exposed so the ewe can still smell the lamb. If you have twins make sure you put the jacket on both lambs to stop the ewe rejecting the jacketed lamb.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 10:15:55 pm »
I'm still convinced they are cuddly toys  ;D, pity (in a way) they don't stay so small and cute :)
But seriously, do you know of any living in the pennines? at over 1000 feet it can get a bit rough up here.
This year I was hoping to pick a couple of orphan or third lambs up cheap to use the goats milk up, I think it was Victorian farm it showed some Dartmoor and I liked the look and description of them there.
As to the plastic coats, I've only see them once round here, (yorkshire farmers too tight to spend money on fancy ideas?) but I still have a cutting from a farmers paper from when they were first introduced MANY years ago, thought it was a good idea even back then.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 10:26:46 pm »
Those on Victorian farm were Whiteface Dartmoors, the Greyface is a lot more docile. There are flocks upcountry, i'll have to look into it!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS