Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plastic lamb 'jackets'  (Read 19790 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Plastic lamb 'jackets'
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:04:22 pm »
I've heard mixed views - are the plastic lamb jackets (usually in packets of 25) worth getting?

:sheep:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Plastic lamb 'jackets'
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:12:53 pm »
We had a few free samples a few years ago and used them on Jacob lambs in wet weather, just for a few days.  You can't put them on until the lamb is clean, dry and the couple bonded.  I would say that if you have only a few ewes then it is more economical to make your own out of a thick plastic bag - oblong, four holes towards the corners, put it on over the lambs back with a leg in each hole.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:11:14 pm »
I use them with great success, if the ewe gets a bit spooked by the red ones, I have clear ones which she can see her offspring through. I do find that they only stay on the average lamb 3-4 days as they literally burst out of them! they are excellent for small lambs to keep the chill wind and rain off their little bodies.
Here's Bryony with her twins all togged up....

Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:14:17 pm »
toooooo cute! :love: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:19:45 pm »
Oh what a sweet picture  ;D

Depends where you live how useful lamb jackets are.  They protect against wind and rain, so if you live at 1000ft in Cumbria, as I do, they are lifesavers! If you lived in Kent maybe less necessary?

One packet won't cost much and of course they don't eat anything and you can use them next year too. Or use bread bags, though your photo won't look as cute then  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:43:39 pm »
We use them routinely in wet / cold weather; as others have said, they burst off in a few days.  You can get large and standard sizes; some of our large singles need the large but the standard really seem to be big enough for almost all.  Some very tiny lambs need a much smaller one - not sure if you can get them; our local agri merchant doesn't have them.

We now only use the clear ones, having had a handful of cases of very aggressive rejection of a lamb wearing an orange one.  I would be concerned about the same reaction to a home-made-from-carrier-bag solution, although I applaud the idea.  ;D  One of the very aggressive ewes beat up (and really beat up) another ewe's lamb wearing an orange mac, which was the point at which we abandoned using them, since carefully ensuring that mum is happy with orange-macced baby was not, apparently, protection for it from being beaten up.

We do get the odd ma who won't accept her baby in a clear one, but so far haven't had a ewe trying to kill someone else's lamb wearing one.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »
We use them and don't get any problems. we like the red ones cause when they rip off or mum removes them we can find them easily in the field and pick up the bits.
We lambed some llanwenogs  and found them a bit big so trimmed them up. Our first year we used large sandwich bags and cut leg holes in them, my friends thought it very funny and called them boil- in- the- bag- lamb.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:38:20 pm »
Thanks for posting the pic.  There are no words to describe how cute they look!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:59:02 pm »
I use them with great success, if the ewe gets a bit spooked by the red ones, I have clear ones which she can see her offspring through. I do find that they only stay on the average lamb 3-4 days as they literally burst out of them! they are excellent for small lambs to keep the chill wind and rain off their little bodies.
Here's Bryony with her twins all togged up....

Are you sure they aren't toy lambs, look like a 'teddy bear' type of toy to me  ;D
(have to keep having another look they look so cute)

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:09:32 am »
that's Greyface Dartmoors, they are very cute! It's a shame their ears droop when I tag them but they soon pop up again.
Here's another one in his cold weather gear...

and one without a jacket....

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:23:14 am »
They are just beyond cute!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:46:02 am »
I can't take anymore cuteness, I will explode!!

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:10:27 am »
I sooo want one! ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 12:37:13 pm »
They look absolutley lovely  :sheep: :love:   What is the fleece like, hardiness, lambing etc?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 01:28:41 pm »
The fleece is lustre longwool, coarse and used for carpets mainly. The sheep are very docile, and withstand the great British weather without batting an eyelid. They do take a lot of feeding, but my lot lamb by themselves and do their lambs very well!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS