Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tattoo in cat's ear - Dorset  (Read 3207 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Tattoo in cat's ear - Dorset
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:54:43 pm »
Some time ago we were adopted by a starving, stray cat that was extremely vicious.  I fed her, made her a bed,  and she now lives in the garage.  She is completely deaf and we have seen her having a fit.  Eventually I got close enough to see that she has a bright green tattoo 4342 in her left ear.  The local vets and cat rescue centres say they have no idea who would have done this tattoo.  The only suggestion I have was that she could have been a laboratory cat.  Any ideas anyone?http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/Smileys/default/cat.gif
Update:  After 2 years, and quite a bit of spilt blood, last night she came and sat on my lap in front of the fire.http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/Smileys/default/cat.gif

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Tattoo in cat's ear - Dorset
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:57:57 pm »
Can't tell you about the tattoo, just wanted to say well done for getting her to feel so comfortable with you  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:58:22 am »
A real achievement, well done  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:27:03 am »
I think its a lab mark, who else would bother putting such a long number on a kitten? So nice she is settling in, I think cats scratches and bites worse than dogs but I still love them!!!!!!

http://www.animalid.com/Home.php
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:30:53 am by Sandy »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:47:19 pm »
I tattoo my pups but I've never heard of cats being done till now, although  I can see that pedigree cat breeders might do this, but as a kitten grows so will the tattoo and it may become illegible.  The length of the tattoo depends on the registry used - one of my early dogs was PR843, so your cat's number is not particularly long.  - Brett's parents were Puk and Rolline and he was born in 1984 and was the third pup born.  My own pups are now registered with the National Dog Register and those are really long numbers - about 8 digits I think.  But the length of the number doesn't relate to any pain involved - it is a stamp that is set up, loaded with the special ink, and clamped onto  the inside flap of the ear for about 10 seconds (sometimes less time is needed)  Pups are usually done from 6 weeks onwards.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:51:07 pm »
No idea about the tattoo but well done on looking after this kitty. Maybe the folk that t=run the National Cat Show could help?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »
Thanks for your comments.
I don't like to criticise but some of the Cat Rescue  and national Charities have been less than helpful (or knowledgeable).  Just because she is a old stray it seems she is not worth bothering with - but I am intrigued by her history.  If she was a lab cat, is that why she is deaf and has fits?  She is a typical tabby, by the way.  And our farm cats give her a very wide berth - she is not called Swipey for nothing.

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 02:03:20 pm »
Where you got her from could be a clue,?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 02:56:37 pm »
does she glow in the dark?? ;)

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 03:29:23 pm »
Actualy, do be careful, I adopted a cat and he was huge and sat on my knee purrrring, then he bit me so bad I had tears in my eyes, he actualy disapeared after that, but thats another story...cat bites and scratches can be very bad as thier claws and teeth cut into you very deeply and they carry all sorts of infections!!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS