Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raising ducklings under a broody duck  (Read 388 times)

TyIsa

• Joined Apr 2020
Raising ducklings under a broody duck
« on: March 27, 2024, 09:21:35 pm »
I've hatched and raised ducklings using an incubator and a broody chicken before but this is my first time using a broody duck. I'm not sure what to do about water- a little duckling suitable container will not be big enough for the mother duck but a big container will potentially be a risk to the ducklings if they can't get in or out. 
I have 3 options that I can think of:
- provide a big container for the mother and a small one for the ducklings and hope they don't climb in to the big container.
- provide a big container with steps (probably a brick or 2)  in and out.
-provide nothing, leave the door open and let mum lead the ducklings out to the stream when she's ready.
Annoyingly, they are due to hatch on Monday when I will be out at work all day.
Any suggestions?

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Raising ducklings under a broody duck
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 09:57:24 pm »
Provide a shallow container eg cat litter tray and refill as necessary. After a couple of days the ducklings should be waterproofed sufficiently to go swimming. However, small ducklings will be at risk from many predators both on and off the water and mother duck will not be able to protect them all. Either be prepared to accept some losses or keep the whole family penned up until the babies are a little bigger, say 3 - 4 weeks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS