Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: orphan lambs  (Read 3756 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
orphan lambs
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:36:08 am »
Yesterday we picked up four lambs, each came from a yew with three and I felt guilty taking them away from their mothers. They are Scottish Mule cross Charollais so will grow to a fair size. We paid £10 each which I was delighted with. I spent yesterday afternoon getting them used to the bottle and all but one has taken well. I have bought a feeding bucket with 5 teats on it with the hope that they will learn to feed from this, I got up at 1.30am to give them a feed as I did not want them to go all night, have done this in the past for the first few days until they get used to being fed and it does safe on stomach upsets. I know its an expensive way of raising your own food but its not about the money, more on how and what they have been brought up on. In the past we had sheep but due to back problems I now find it too difficult to do shearing and foot trimming on an adult. I did think on having a small breed but they seem to be great escape artist. anyway its so nice to have new life on the place and as long as they are well and happy that will do me fine.  :sheep:

lindy

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: orphan lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:05:24 pm »
Hi
I am sure you will enjoy raising your lambs. I hope they do really well.
Incidentally if you wanted to keep a few adult sheep could you get a contract shepherd in to do their feet? That is what I do. There is no way I could turn my Zwartbles over(too feeble!). If I need to do just one because it is limping then I use a headstall and lift the foot as one would with a pony.
I know you have to pay  but it is only a few times a year and if you ask around there is often someone willing to do a small flock for a reasonable price.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 03:59:22 pm »
Lambs now on add lib feeding and doing well, don't know anyone round here who would help trim feet etc, the farmers all far too busy  :sheep:

lindy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:11:43 pm »
Does not have to be a farmer. Around here quite a few people do contract shepherding. My chap did keep sheep but is retired from farming. I did have someone before who worked fulltime managing others peoples small flocks for them. My friend in the village has a lecturer from the local agricultural college come to do hers.
I can think of at least two other people who do it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS