Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hi another newbie  (Read 3354 times)

wonda

• Joined Mar 2009
hi another newbie
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:23:02 pm »
hi
   my names wonda and i live in sw london, Im hoping to adopt a few chickens thought it was going to be two but  they come in three's so i think ill be busy carnt wait.......well i have to buy a coop with a run, any ideas where to get one.. as i will ned to buy before i contact the rehomers.....im so glad i found this sight by accident i might add what a wonderful thing the web is.. :chook: :horse:[ftp]]ftp://http://

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
Re: hi another newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 09:39:17 pm »
hi wonda and welcome to the site!! ex battery hens are the very best!!! you will love them :)
juliag

sandy

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:04:03 pm »
Hens are very addictive, they are soooooooo easy to look after, you alo do not need all the proper stuff such as feed and drink containers, mine hve the correct stuff, my hen house was expensive but very hard to clean out, I should have bought a small shed and at least been able to stand up in it and clean it out....Welcome, I love this site!!! ;D

gavbod

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 12:06:19 pm »
Hi we are newbies too, we are starting a small holding in northern france as we plan to become as self sufficient as possible.  We really want to keep chickens but we are not too sure where to start.

Gav and Alice

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 12:39:17 pm »
Not sure, but you may be able to get ex battery hens in France too.  Try googling poulets de sauvetage  You just need a small garden shed, a bit of chicken wire to ensure their safety from predators on the ground, a big bowl of water and a fairly flat dish for food, a plastic or vinyl floor in the shed (makes it easy to clean out), and a nesting box(an old drawer with straw in it)  some straw on the floor and a bit of wood half way up to perch on - or an old free standing shelf unit which is what mine have.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 01:44:44 pm »
Hi wonda
good luck with it alland welcome to the forum

I love coming on here

Ilook after  a dozen chcickens and 2 ducks often - They are great to watch and give me a responsibility other than my work to get up in the morning. There in a barn that a old farmer allows  to be used and at present any eggs layed  get stolen by  a rat soits annoying

welcome

eggy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 06:33:23 pm »
hi
   .....well i have to buy a coop with a run, any ideas where to get one.. as i will ned to buy before i contact the rehomers :chook: :horse:[ftp=ftp://]]]ftp://http://
try this and add a extended run on e b*yItem number: 300299016027
rgds.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:07:38 pm »
Hi and welcome to the TAS forums. Lots of info on hen keeping here!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS