Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to strike other trees?  (Read 5431 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
How to strike other trees?
« on: January 04, 2012, 07:25:29 pm »
...very interesting thread on the striking of willows (yes it is easy!). But anyone got any tips on doing the same with other 'native' tree genera?

cheers

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
Re: How to strike other trees?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:21:44 pm »
Your best getting a libray book or go on line and look for  soft &  hard wood cutting , also  some info on stratifying seeds & nuts.

You really need pictures to show you where to cut some of the cuttings and you need the  timing lists of when to do them .

That said  six foot lengths of poplar bunged down a two foot iron bar made hole work well this time of the year .. use the homade willow rooting liquid to soak new clean cut strikers for an hour or so before planting.
Ash  is done the same way .

Three foot long bramley apple sicons  set in an 18 inch dep hole and back filled with sand  .. left for thre years usually give  reasonable rooted saplings ..don't fall for the old thing that as the sicon flowers in the first year it has roots ... they are very fragile , leave the sicons in place for  the full thre years before digging them out.

You can  earth up around a plum tree to get suckers off the root stock which if your lucky will be a dwarf and graft onto rooted establushed suckers grafts from three or more varieties .

Acorns  Wallnuts, Almonds , Hawthorn berries and a whole host of other nuts and berries can be laid 2 inches deep in sand that five inches deep and placed on the north side of a wall for a year till they germinate .

Syacmore helicopters  . Stratify them in 1 inch deep sand of a five inch deep bed  again on a north wall as soon as they grow to 12 inches dig deep to get the majority of root out .

I seem to recall that leyalndi ..( bloody weeds but useful for wind breaks )  if you have the soil and space.
 come spring cut 18 inches lengths with growing tips  .. ssnip off   greenery for 10 inches  from base , hormone treat and bung in a sand filled hole so the top bit is 1 inch clear of the sand .. keep well watered weeded  transplant when 18 inches high .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:27:46 am »
Brilliant just what I needed
OH set a load of conkers going 18month ago, we have a tub full of little chestnut trees, I don't know where he's going to put them all! (pity they aren't sweet chestnuts, but I don't think they would grow up here).

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:08:15 am »
I go to a nearby forest, broadleaved trees as well as the awful but useful pine and dig up seedlings to bring home(the deer would eat them down so no harm to the forest) and put them in pots until well established. Half of them die but as there are so many it doesn't really matter. I love trees, ash and beech especially.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:59:07 am »
Re Leylandii - someone on GQT said it was a good servant but a bad(?) master, we have some as a windbreak for the fruit patch, about 8-9ft high, makes a wonderful sun trap, you can see other trees blowing about but you can be in tee-shirts and still warm. Does need keeping under control though.
 willow rooting liquid sounds interesting, made a note and I will be trying that.

Has anyone started plums off from their stones? I have a few named varieties but thought it would be interesting to try some seedlings

Do all apples root from cuttings or are Bramleys different? I have an apple tree rom a pip which only grows about 7ft tall, but a lovely wide habit, flowers but doesn't fruit, thought if I get a cutting and try it somewhere else it may do better (bit of competition where it is).

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 07:48:52 pm »
Most fruit trees do not grow true to type if you use seeds/ stones to produce the tree neither do they usually bear friut of quality if they do eventually fruit after seven or more years of being grown ..

Back in the 1950's the Malling institute  collated  many generations of knowledge and did lots of research into trees rootstocks and the tree form /habit

Sicons pushed in the ground may produce fruit but will normally revert to the standard root form and natural tree height/spread .

Plums  are fruit stock thats found to be good then grafted onto a suitable root stock  usually some sort of bullace that need the suckers trimming every year  ( dwarf ,standard ,semi dwarf semi standard etc etc.

Same with apples  & pears .( I think pears are usually grafted onto a quince root stock )

What you could do is mug up on grafting ( good time around now when the sap is rising ) and see if you can get a sicon or two to graft on  the unfruiting stock but leave some of the unfruiting   branches on the tree just incase it does fire up in several years .

You can also " Crown " an old apple tree  by using  it's own sicons .. cut the bole to about three to five feet high leaving one of the old branches on it and insert the grafts around the cut bark , bind up and seal with grafting wax or similar .

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:29:04 am »
Hi Plantoid
I have land spare and unsuitable for animals or cropping, I know results are variable, but I just thought it would be interesting to see how the plum stones would grow on. Would they stratify in sand like other fruit and berries?
I just like to try things to see what happens ???
There is a grafting course locally in about a month, I'll be going to that, looking forward to lots of fruit trees about  ;D.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 08:24:53 pm »
They seem to work better if they have passed through an animal first..

Leopold our goose and Hazel my gun dog used to have competitions and team work to get the Pershore egg plums off the tree.
Leopold would strutt around and call  Hazel sto one of the heavily lade PERSHORE EGG  trees ,she would   leap up and grab a  lowish branch then they would scoff away like pigs eating the fallen fruit.

We found numerous goose poop'd stones  had  sprouted in the weed beds aka flower beds that he  kept getting into .
 I did transplant some but never saw the long term  results as we had to sell up when I became crippled in my day job .
 I'd try to Google " growing plums from plum stones " and see what you can find out . you might be able to use your domestic freezer for a short time to stratify and plant in large pots on a north facing wall in a decent 1/3 .. from four animal composted manure & 2/3 veg matter compost mix

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 10:03:01 pm »
I would try my Dad's method, if you have the space and it isn't the end of the world if things don't work.
Basically see a plant/tree you fancy take a healthy twig or three off of it and use them to mark the ends of your rows in the seed bed. If it grows; Bonus. If it don't; you know where your radishes are :thumbsup:
I think he planted his entire garden with plants propagated in this manner :D
He could barely read or write so took no notice of when or how things are supposed to be done according to the books and just tried whatever he fancied. I reckon it worked about 80% of the time!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS