Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: calves arrived  (Read 2977 times)

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
calves arrived
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:14:05 pm »
following on from my post below.the calves have landed!
We are now the proud owners of two belgian blue cross heifer calves.despite being belgian blues the only have a little blue on thier ears  other than that they  pure white.They are 3 weeks old and came directly from a local diary farm.
 They seem to be doing ok and are starting to nibble a few pellets as well as milk.
I,m not for naming animals as a rule but they have become know as Frosty and Snowy

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: calves arrived
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:23:13 pm »
Sound delightful.  I think some photos would be lovely to see
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:54:12 pm »
Brilliant - love the names. And pics would be good  :thumbsup: :cow: :cow:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 12:11:01 am »
Oh, lovely.  Yes, please, pix!

There are a lot of white British Blues now, and the AI folks seem to carry triple mixes of three white bulls - which gives optimum fertility apparently, but does mean you don't know which of the three actually sired your calf.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:40:18 am »
that will be pooled semen  if it is like pigs you cant register them :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:00:24 am »
Aye, you wouldn't use it for pedigree breeding.  country soul's calves are out of dairy cows, so won't be pure bred anyway - and we use crossbreeds in our suckler herd to get the characteristics we want.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS