Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wet weather  (Read 2713 times)

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
wet weather
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:02:19 pm »
Hi all its another question due to this real wet weather we are having ,would it be ok for me to house my sheep in an open three sided barn until they have lambed in march and the weather improves as the paddocks are getting water logged quite badly all advice welcome Many thanx

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: wet weather
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:22:38 pm »
They should be ok as long as they have enough space. The critical thing for sheep is air movement, plus some exercise.
Yeh, my fields are getting pretty trashed  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:48:01 pm »
Plenty of clean straw bedding too - if the bedding gets thin and they are kept in for a while, then you will start to see foot problems.  You can't tip heavily pregnant sheep up, so it's best to avoid the problem occurring.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:44:38 pm »
Lots of people inwinter their sheep. There are lots of advantages. You may want to set up a feed barrier so that the sheep can stick their heads through to eat their hay but cant trample it. A normal steel gate turned upside down works quite well.

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:55:49 pm »
Thanx for the replies  ill give it a few more weeks then they can come into the barn ,once again many thanx and a Merry Christmas to all

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:44:11 pm »
is a 14ft x 14ft big enough for 5 small ewes to stay in? or do they need more space?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 09:36:04 am »
is a 14ft x 14ft big enough for 5 small ewes to stay in? or do they need more space?
They'll be fine.  Just make sure that what's under their feet is fresh and dry. x
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 03:41:58 pm »
thanx sally.
im thinking they may lamb early as the ram escaped and got in with them. i think i will bring them in soon.
 :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS