Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Licensing laws to sell homemade wine (via baaath time)  (Read 13518 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Licensing laws to sell homemade wine (via baaath time)
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:28:45 pm »
Just wondering if anyone knows about licensing laws for selling homemade Plum wine as part of a luxury bath package? the wine is made by my husband from our own plums. Have tried searching online but the info is clear as mud to me, trading standards don't seem to have any info and I've been blasted wtih a load of adverts from companies pertaining to provide said license since using google  :-\
would be very grateful! Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Licensing laws to sell homemade wine (via baaath time)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 06:54:58 pm »
I feel sure you would have to apply to the court for a liquor licence.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 07:16:01 pm »
customs and excise are involved as well :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:20:08 pm »

Free bottle of wine given away with every bar of soap sold?   - Bars of soap naturally £8 each  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 07:28:48 pm »
Thank you for the replies  :) 

Free bottle of wine given away with every bar of soap sold?   - Bars of soap naturally £8 each  ;D

LOL that's kind of how we do it now!  I really want to make up a package whereby the customer buys the whole luxurious bathtime experience in a box - ie. soap, bathbomb, candles, wine etc...all made here. but if its going to be too difficult with the wine license it probably won't happen  :D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:57:45 pm »
a few yers ago we looked at making our vinyard and self production.
 The legally imposed rules & regs to plan for  produce and store wine caused us to give up PDQ when they kicked in at over £20 K for nothiung more than the paper work.

Plum wine .. hmm a country wine made at home  ..

My take is that environmental health would also eventually get their nose in the trough as it was or still is classed as a food stuff made at home. So you'd need the kitchen set & cleanliness conditions to factor in plus no doubt also having to comply with some esoteric EEC rulings and licences as well.

Sorry to be so negative  but at least you have a starting point to look at to see if it is still all horribly true and find newer road signs for your journey into the insanity of legislations and rules imposed upon the polulace by law...

They say that ignorance of the law is no defence so don't intentionally close one eye and miss anything out .
But do be aware that if you ask enough people for permission to do something one jobsworth will feel duty bound to say NO you can't or they will not know the right answer  and bluff their way at your expense .
if it is found to be wrong.

So you will also have to check everything what you're told in writing by alternative unrelated means.and for goodness sake keep the letters in& out  in a big date sequenced set of filesthat you don't throw away for 20 years or more. ..
Someone some day will come to ask questions  and you will need lots of accurate answers in the right order..
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:05:26 am »
Its a headache really isn't it plantoid  :-\  There was a victueller who was interested in buying the wine and selling it under his license but I think we'd have still needed the kitchen assessment etc to make it in th efirst place. It had crossed my mind to sell it to him then buy some back but then I'd still be sellign it so that wouldn't work either - agH!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:27:09 am »
You're not even supposed to give a bottle of wine as a raffle prize! It counts as selling it. The Excise folk would have a pretty hectic time of it at this time of year if they looked into all the raffles going on ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:10:38 am »
and all the homemade cakes etc too I'm guessing?

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:00:43 pm »
Its a headache really isn't it plantoid  :-\  There was a victueller who was interested in buying the wine and selling it under his license but I think we'd have still needed the kitchen assessment etc to make it in th efirst place. It had crossed my mind to sell it to him then buy some back but then I'd still be sellign it so that wouldn't work either - agH!
[/quote

You also need to have special fairly high  levels of secure lockable bonded stores to store the finished wine in .
 I think I had to have it alarmed and also only use the specified HMRC locks to which only they had any key as well as knowing the serial numbers of their stainless steel anti tamper  high security ties.. There might have also been a requirement to have anti tamper seals on everything so that you could not take any fermenting must away and bring it into the sales after it was finished wine outside the biuness.

Every time you wanted to take stock out the bonded store a custonms person had to be there and of course you had to pay not only for the persons presence etc but you immediately became liable for duty at whatever rate was being applied to that fermentations final alcohol content .  There was no " Can we wait till it's sold " sort of grace . So you were also likely to have had the risk of de bonded taxe paid  wine  in large quantities being availabe for theft.   Your insurance now soars skyward.

There are no simple way of producing wines beers & soirits for retaail because of customs and duty conditions.

One thing I did consider , was buying  in bulk for a compliant producer and bottling it in our own bottles then selling it .
 Unfortunately we never reached that stage because I took on the crippling back injury and it was change plans  & lives for ever in a matter of a couple of days
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 11:34:35 pm »
Did you get anywhere with this Plums?

My sister is a bit of a entrepreneur. I introduced her to home brewing and she went and set herself up as a business to sell. She's easily distracted though so it hasn't gone far, but she is now fully licensed to sell legally. If you're still looking for the info I can have a word with her, see what she had to do.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 07:13:43 am »
I'd also be interested in any information your sister may have.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 07:46:06 am »
I didn't get anywhere with it, no so I would be very interested please!!  We are still making about 400 litres on a bad year, more on a good year (this year probably very bad  ::)   ) and would be so good to be able to sell it legally! thank you!

xhalmers_860

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 02:40:32 pm »
I would be interested in this sister too - replying to get notifications! Any news?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 11:30:24 pm »
Hi,

Sorry with 3 children and living at the other end of the country to me she is a hard woman to get hold of!

Got her on the phone this evening. She hadn't finished the process as she realised that making it at home would break her tenancy rules, so she's looking for a place she can make it, which means it will be on the back burner for a while. She did however get quite far in the process and will email me the info she has towards the end of the week (which means I'll probably get it next week!).

Will update when she does.

It is something that I'd also be interested in doing in the future (when I get my smallholding, seems so far away!). I love brewing, but me and the OH aren't big drinkers...

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS