Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cabbages  (Read 4506 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Cabbages
« on: November 29, 2011, 12:44:07 pm »
Finally planted out my cabbages.  I still have some in the seed tray in case of failure and because I have no where to put them and can't bear to throw them away.  Anyone tried growing cabbages in buckets?

deepinthewoods

Re: Cabbages
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:10:48 pm »
yep. only a few savoys but they did fine, maybe a bit smaller. most brassicas have small root systems.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:28:41 am »
I'll give it a go then.  How many did you put in one bucket?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:05:53 am »
just the one, try to use a loamy soil mix.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:18:46 pm »
Thanks for that.  Now where did I put those buckets?   ;D

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:44:21 am »
that i cant answer! ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:43:43 pm »
that i cant answer! ;D
   ;D ;D ;D

It's only a garden.  How hard can it be to find some buckets?   ???  I'm asking me here, you understand.  ;D

Chrisnoel

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 08:25:00 pm »
that i cant answer! ;D
   ;D ;D ;D

It's only a garden.  How hard can it be to find some buckets?   ???  I'm asking me here, you understand.  ;D

If you plant 2 or three cabbage plants in the same place, let them grow and remove the strongest one and use, leaving the other/s to continue growing!!!! cut the stems?stalks with secatures.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 12:48:54 am »
I can never bear to pull up the weakest plant.  I even sow my cabbage seed singly.

It's not an issue now anyway.  B****** pigeons ate them.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 07:14:28 pm »
Sorry to hear pigeons got your cabbages, I suppose this time of year there's so little available they spot them a mile off ::)

I've still got cabbages, savoy and sprouts in the garden well frosted - will they grow any more or should I pull them up now?  Sprouts a real disappointment as the one plant that produced the sproutlets grew them open rather than tight so they look useless :(

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 11:50:15 pm »
At least they didn't get the ones I'd planted out - they are covered with mesh for that very reason.  The ones they had were the tiny ones still in the seed tray but they have actually started putting up new leaves, so I will have to resume my bucket search.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:50:01 pm »
Sorry to hear pigeons got your cabbages, I suppose this time of year there's so little available they spot them a mile off ::)

I've still got cabbages, savoy and sprouts in the garden well frosted - will they grow any more or should I pull them up now?  Sprouts a real disappointment as the one plant that produced the sproutlets grew them open rather than tight so they look useless :(

Leave them where they are unles your have below minus three centigrade for three or four for three days continously .

Most cabbages and sprouts can take several days of hard frost down to about minus 4  but after that they start to get slowly killed off by the cold

You can however saw offf a frozen cabbage and defrost it and sort out any good bits to have that evening /day . The frozen saw off cabbage can be allowd to defrost in a garage over a day or so  but it will need eating  once it has defrosted.

I'd also leave the sprout plants alone , break off and eat the bolted sprouts as boiled cabbage or use them in soups or as bubble  squeak  with a bit of pepper & butter on them etc. ... take them from the bottom up to the first set of smaller sprouts you see that are tight formed.
 Then see if you get any new tighter sprouts forming up by the tops in a few weeks time.

If it's still bolted sprouts , you can still leave the plants in situation  because the tops can be eaten as greens in late Feb /early March when little else is available & the stalks fed to chickens etc. .
Then you can try your hand at making walking sticks out of the sprout stalks if they are long enough  ...just like the Victorians did.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS