Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pollytunnel  (Read 4380 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
pollytunnel
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:12:00 pm »
For the first time ever I was eating tomato yesterday that have been growing all summer in the pollytunnel. Never had this in November before. I also have swede, carrots, leeks,  cabbage and winter lettuce in there all doing very well.  ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: pollytunnel
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:24:05 am »
It's this lovely mild weather we've been having :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 10:03:52 pm »
Mine just has carrots and leeks  in the veg line but all the herbs are still going strong. Loads of cuttings from shrubs doing well also. Never been able to grow a cabbage in there, they dont form heads , just go all blousy. Ah well next year.......

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:36:20 am »
For the first time ever I was eating tomato yesterday that have been growing all summer in the pollytunnel. Never had this in November before. I also have swede, carrots, leeks,  cabbage and winter lettuce in there all doing very well.  ;D
[/quote

Sabrina,

Is that with both ends open on the warmer days or a full closed tunnel and just a bit of  through ventilation ?
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:13:35 pm »
My tomatoes (outdoor) have just started to ripen.  Hopefully I'll get a few before the frosts start.  As they are in buckets, I will probably move them into the greenhouse.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:10:14 am »
Both doors are half netting as I found in the past that the tomatoes do not do well if they are not getting enough ventilation. also it helps with the strong winds we get up here. I have had the tunnel over 3 years and it is still in very good nick. In the summer the doors are open all day.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:05:10 pm »
Both doors are half netting as I found in the past that the tomatoes do not do well if they are not getting enough ventilation. also it helps with the strong winds we get up here. I have had the tunnel over 3 years and it is still in very good nick. In the summer the doors are open all day.
You should open your doors of your tunnel house regardless of the weather, that does not say theyf ahve to be open fully on a cold, wet day, but certainly to let some new fresh air into the house is important.  otherwise the stale air goes around and around and mould  will set in and such things as mealy bug just love the warm stale conditons, thrips enjoy it in there as well,  waterery bacterial  infections will also occur if ther are any drips that continue to drip and keep the leaves of the plants or fruit wet.  Fresh air helps to maintain humidity and dryness to the plants as well as the fresh air coming in. :wave:

Chrisnoel

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 08:53:05 pm »

over winter cauliflowers (Var. All the year Round) do not water till the spring when they will start to grow, then only water roots.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 03:57:13 pm »
Erm....I've got turkeys hanging in my polytunnel...found the cross bars wonderful for the job  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 07:48:42 pm »
Won't they get too hot?  The temp goes up in a tunnel with the least bit of sunshine  :turkey:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:11:32 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:45:59 am »
LoL....I wish...the temp in our tunnel hasn't got above 5c for the last week even with the pathetic attempt of the sun trying to break through the clouds  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS