Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats wanted!  (Read 2496 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Goats wanted!
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:39:15 pm »
We are looking to start with goats at our community farm (Cambridgeshire) in the spring. We've visited a very helpful local goat keeper who has advised us start with a pair of girls that we can breed from on alternate years to maintain a steady-ish supply of milk. Ideally we'd love to keep golden guernseys as they seem to best fit our needs and one of our members has prior experience with keeping them, however we'd consider other dairy breeds as well. If anyone has, or hears about any goats for sale that might fit our needs, please do let me know!

Many Thanks,

Ben

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goats wanted!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 06:51:09 am »
Re which goats to keep - it really depends on how many people you will want to supply with milk. GG's are very good for smallholding families, but it is really just the one family they are supplying... Not sure how big your community is. My GG's gave about 4ltrs at peak lactation and it's now down to just under two per day. BT's are still quite a bit higher.

If you are after GG's contact the Golden Guernsey Goat Society's Stock Officer (I can pm you her details if you cannot find them on the web, don't know if they are on the GGGS website), but be prepared to wait.

If you are interested in other dairy goats - the BGS has details of goats for sale through its members from registered herds.

If you

chickenfeed

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:01:48 pm »
 :wave: hi there are a few goat keepers in the cambs area including my parents have you been in touch with the fenland gaotkeepers and smallholders club they have members all around the fens.

kristofvervynck

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »
Hello,

I am a farmer in North Yorkshire.  I was planning to start a goat dairy and bought 6 goats one year ago from some very real goat people in the area.  They are all in kid and doing very well.  The sad thing is that we have to sell the goats as our community will not be able to process the milk.  The decision is made and now we are looking for a place for the goats.  You can contact me on 01287 661 308
Hope I can help you

We have 2 toggenburg, 1 old English, 1 Saanen/guernsey, 1 Alpine and 1 nubian/Toggenburg
They were together with a wonderful Nubian billy.  They are between 2 and 4 years old

Kristof

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS