Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cheap Pork??  (Read 12180 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Cheap Pork??
« on: November 29, 2011, 12:39:40 pm »
A big butchers concern local to me is offering a 30kg half pig vac/packed & jointedfor £58!!!! :o
How can they do this?
Am going to telephone them this afternoon to see if it is British pork or imported. If they are making a profit at £58 what is the farmer getting for his pigs?
I'm outraged.  >:(They have always been known to be a cheap butcher and although their stuff isn't top quality its eatable for anyone who doesn' know better. I wonder constantly at some of their offers and how they do it.
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

Re: Cheap Pork??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:50:59 pm »
the meat sellers at markets( the ones that sell allsorts not farmers markets) sell meat at the point of being past the sell by date
that is £116  for the whole pig less slaughter less there proffit  that pig made the farmer £50
will it not be the foreign pork that was contaminated in germany  just coming out of storage :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:12:20 pm »
Just rang and they say its british local pork  ??? i asked how it could be at that price when they have to buy the pigs, slaughter , cut & pack, no answers could hear the shrug of shoulders down the phone.
they have to be doing it as a loss leader to get folks in and then hope they buy some deareer cuts of beef, lamb etc. These are the type of firms you suspect of being involved in rustling operations!!
mandy :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 03:25:44 pm »
OK WHO  HAS LOST SOME PIGS :o :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 03:26:01 pm »
If you do think its more likely to be rustling than loss leader then a quiet phone call to trading standards might be in order. I agree, theres no way that they are making a profit at that price without a corner or three being cut or them raking it back elsewhere.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:47:44 pm »
It might be HappyHippy's missing pig :o

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 04:50:15 pm »
It does make you wonder how many pigs do go missing  ??? ??? ??? ???
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 04:56:53 pm »
these pigs are only 1/5 the size of karens :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 05:21:31 pm »
To most folk, it's 30kg of dead pig - they won't know or care if it's half a small pig of a 1/5 of Karen's.

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 05:39:24 pm »
It might be HappyHippy's missing pig :o
karen, how did u get on with getting reimbursed. just wondering cos when our sheep went missing, we were newbies and we acceptance the first offer of compensation without thinking, but if a mature tammie got lost would they value that as a rare breed or compare it to a hybrid baconer?

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 07:19:02 pm »
Stuart and myself were ranting about this butchers on Friday Mandy, very annoyed  >:(

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 10:50:56 am »
I was looking in the farmers weekly prices section and from what i could make out porkers were making around £1.47/kg they will have had to buy a whole eighty odd kilo or larger pig to get that kind of weight back so at £58 after slaughter, cutting & packing they're making nothing. very worrying not only for us selling dearer stuff but what did the farmer get?
Mandy  :pig:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 03:18:31 pm »
It does make you wonder how many pigs do go missing  ??? ??? ??? ???

It does :o

For the butchers to be offering this, do you think the pork could be local farm bred, never registered with Defra, slaughtered  by somebody on the premises, possibly with no license, then butchered on the premises too?

I've heard a few local stories similar to the above >:(

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 05:19:18 pm »
If you're buying meat that cheap you can be sure someone has paid dearly (probably the poor old pig) :(

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 09:13:55 pm »
I heard of a set up local to me where the farmer was buying a lot of pigs very cheaply at an auction, feeding them bakery waste which he got for nothing and then getting them killed on the farm illegally by a butcher friend of his who went on to sell the meat in his shop. They were knocking out a half pig for 50 quid. As far as I'm aware it has stopped now but it went on for some time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS