Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orf and cold sores  (Read 6460 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Orf and cold sores
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:14:20 pm »
There is a suggestion that there is a link between being susceptible to orf and having cold sores.  There is also a query as to whether being a cold sore sufferer mitigates the effect of an orf infection.

Please read the options carefully and choose the one closest to your situation.   The options are never, once badly, once mildly and more than once for orf, for each of being someone who does or does not have cold sores. 

Changing your vote is allowed because the options are so similar and it's easy to click the wrong one!

Each user is allowed two votes so we can also log results for our other halves if they are not TAS users themselves.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

Re: Orf and cold sores
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
cold sores   develop when they body's immune system is at a low   or at least it seams to be with me      once you know the early signs you can prevent it from being a severe outbreak
cold sores are the same family as herpes  (i am led to believe)  and has to do with your genes  children from the same parents can be susceptible or not  and is not necessarily passed on :farmer:

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:08:32 pm »
I've only had orf once, age 17. Never had a cold sore until I was 32, still get cold sores but never caught orf again.

The OH, as far as I know has always suffered from cold sores, he's never had orf.

My daughter (age 19) has had orf once, and suffers from cold sores ! 

:-\

(ETA - would only let me vote once)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:19:07 pm by BadgerFace »
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:25:16 pm »
My mother has cold sores and has always been extremely careful that we were never to kiss her when she had them I have never had a cold sore or orf for that matter.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:54:45 pm »
arent cold sores herpes simplex??

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:09:10 pm »
Orf is caused by 'a parapox virus' according to The Sheep Keepers Vet Handbook - not very specific.  Does anyone know just which virus?

ps I have shingles - does that count  ;D :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 04:40:41 pm »
i think you will need to widen the questions by a good margin sally
first parapoxvirus is in grey squirrels and red deer get it  going by wikipedia
then it could be shortened to the pox which would widen the paramiters again
sorry fleecwife but shingles  is a herpes so widened again
the things you learn on this site just by somebody asking a question    it might not be usefull but you did not know it before :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 06:05:40 pm »
sorry fleecwife but shingles  is a herpes so widened again

Not right on that one robert.  Shingles is the chicken pox virus, it's varicella-zoster.

Hope you get better soon, Juliet.  I've had shingles and it HURTS.  :-* :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 06:07:08 pm »
first parapoxvirus is in grey squirrels and red deer get it  going by wikipedia

I read that at first as, "red deer get it by going to wikipedia"  :D  (which I just thought was a robert-ism, and very funny!  :D)

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 06:20:51 pm »
shingles    herpes zoster    maybe i am now skim reading :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 09:14:55 pm »
Let's just forget I ever mentioned shingles :D  I only did because I'm being driven crazy by it - as you say Sally 'IT HURTS' (thank you for the sympathy  :) :wave:)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 09:35:04 pm »
have a friend that has shingles    me i have had angina that was terrible   dislocated shoulder that was bloody painfull both getting it and the recovery      high blood pressure 2 weeks of 8 paracetamol a day  the only good point the sex was brilliant   six months after the doctor told me they are lucky to ever meet anybody with the blood pressure i had :farmer:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:34:20 pm by robert waddell »

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 10:19:33 pm »
I've never come accross shingles, don't even know what it is, but just the name sounds itchy!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 12:59:38 am »
This may be getting away  from sheep but my neighbor swears she tried vagisil on her starting cold sore and it was gone the next morning ;D ;D

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 11:36:15 am »
I don't want to be picky ... but shouldn't there be a selection for not being exposed to orf? or is it assumed that people would work out that it was only relevant to those with animals? another interesting point is... what is the likleyhood of orf in areas affected by grey squirrels?
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS