Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fodder beat  (Read 3162 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
fodder beat
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:39:42 pm »
someone near me is selling fodder beat £30 a ton, as the apples are nearly gone and the grass is poor etc i thought i would get some fodder beat for my Kune pigs.......... anyone now the food value of this beet,  thought i might give them about 2 per day...... anygood?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: fodder beat
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:49:15 pm »
someone near me is selling fodder beat £30 a ton, as the apples are nearly gone and the grass is poor etc i thought i would get some fodder beat for my Kune pigs.......... anyone now the food value of this beet,  thought i might give them about 2 per day...... anygood?

According to 'the Newcastle document' you need 6kg fresh fodder beet to replace 1kg barley.  It warns to introduce them slowly and to mince or chop them for growing pigs but says sows can eat them whole.  Tops if fed should be wilted and used with caution as they contain oxalic acid.

As to food value, it gives indicative figures of (with recommended daily intakes for growing pigs in parentheses):
(but note these growing pigs won't be Kune Kunes!)

DM 18%
MJ/kg 2.4 (13.5)
Fibre 1%
Protein 1% (18)
Lysine 0.05% (1.1)
Calcium 0.05% (0.8 ) 
Sodium 0.1% (0.15)
Methionine & Cysteine 0.04% (0.65)
Phosphorus 0.04% (0.6)
Threonine 0.03% (0.75)

It says it would be safe to feed fodder beet (after gradual introduction) as up to 50% of the dry matter intake - but also suggests that growing pigs are only likely to eat the beet when pellets are not available.

All of which I think means you will be fine feeding a couple o' beets a day but that won't replace very much in the way of pellets.  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:42 pm »
we've been feeding it here to our oxfords, £26/ ton but i had to fetch ten ton with our trailer and tractor! we used an old bamford root cutter to chop it up and 5 pigs get a largeish bucket morning and night. with 2 scoops of breeder rolls. no problems so far, just makes the rolls go further, interesting to see the oxallic acid content though.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 01:15:37 pm »
thanks for that..... it seems that best to feed a few extra pellets instead of beet, cos for £30 ton of beet i can get almost 4 bags of 25klo rolls

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS