Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Black pudding  (Read 3786 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Black pudding
« on: November 26, 2011, 01:27:53 pm »
I have two pigs going off on Monday and will take a bucket and bring back the blood. I usually make plain old ordinary black pudding( with pearl barley, oatmeal, onions and spices) but wondered if anyone has a recipe of their own to make a bit of a change?

robert waddell

Re: Black pudding
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:49:04 pm »
will they let you do this :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:16:35 pm »
Oh, yes! I will also be collecting the bones, trotters, heads, liver and lights(if passed) The butcher can keep the guts and the oink ;). Oh! and I will ask especially for the tenderloins ;D ;D
Whose bloody blood is it anyway?

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:38:02 pm »
I asked about this when i took mine down and they said no they aren't allowed to pass on the blood anymore.  If other abattoirs do this is it as a favour or a common thing to do?  Would like to know as it'll give me some info to bargain with next run we do

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 03:08:42 pm »
what not taking the guts they make the sausage skins from them :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 03:33:38 pm »
I asked about this when i took mine down and they said no they aren't allowed to pass on the blood anymore.  If other abattoirs do this is it as a favour or a common thing to do?  Would like to know as it'll give me some info to bargain with next run we do

Lazy buggers! I take my pigs in for 6a.m. before anyone else is there. Not only do they have time to collect the blood but my pigs go straight through, no waiting about. It's probably shortage of time on their side. No excuse really, they only have to shove the bucket in place. You can stir the strings out yourself before you go home.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 03:36:46 pm »
what not taking the guts they make the sausage skins from them :farmer:

I've enough to do without scraping intestines, rinsing, scraping, rinsing........... did enough of that as a youngster :D

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:19:51 pm »
we are getting the offal back this time for the first (and heads - but wev had those before) but i have to go back next day to collect. i havent asked for blood yet so this post is interesting.
 trotters go with the carcus to butcher?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:45:22 am »
Princess P. as long as the pig passes inspection all is YOURS, not the butchers. He may charge you a little more but you will have all of your pig. Don't be hesitant when asking for what you want back, tell the operater clearly. If needs be write it down. If you want the blood take a clean bucket with a close fitting lid. I use a 3gallon/15 litre fermenting bucket. Good luck :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 01:54:44 pm »
i have to get the offal and head from the abattoir then the rest from butcher. just wondered where the feet end up - ie who to chase? the only time iv had the feet is when we took the whole carcuss home with us.

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 03:02:41 pm »
No problem here in France - offal (as long as passed by inspection/vet), blood, lights etc etc.  The head of any lambs going to abattoir is not allowed to be returned - other than that no probs.  You can buy from supermarket brains, cawl, skins - no quibble.  Cant get blood from the supermarket unless you order a complete pig carcass from them and then you get a  bucket of blood - but as we have our own we dont go down that road.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 04:11:34 pm »
I will try to post pictures of my puddings tomorrow to make your mouths water :yum: :yum: ;D Oh, you can buy dried blood on-line.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS