Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig butchery day  (Read 6717 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
pig butchery day
« on: November 25, 2011, 09:28:05 pm »
Good evenin all. I wondered if anyone knew of a pig butchery instruction day/half day in my area? (kent). Was told about one in devon that sounded good, but as i have a young family/empty bank balance combination it was just too far! My saddleback/GOS ladies wont be ready til the new year so i have a bit of time to get my first  half pig under my belt. Thanks peoples 

princesspiggy

Re: pig butchery day
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:41:43 pm »
why not collect from the abattoir and do it yourself? its not that difficult aslong as ur knifes ae good and its for home consumption. i really enjoyed doing delilah.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 10:47:07 am »
It is a thought, but i wouldnt know where to begin! Just buy a book and take the plunge i suppose. Great name for a pig by the way, tho i dont have much room to talk as margaret will be the first of ours to go. Was it straightforward, and how long? I blame you for the Tom Jones song going round and round my head!  :D

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:11:26 am »
the best way is to watch a butcher doing one (they can do a whole pig in 20 min) it will take you a day and more with your first one then you will get quicker and better  you need quite a fair amount of space starting with the two half's and ending up with bowls of mince piles of links and the space to perform your HFW skills
the pig is supposed to taste better if they are named leave that one for you to decide :farmer:

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 11:16:49 am »
I don't know of any in Kent, but Plumpton College (Netherfield) in East Sussex do pig butchery courses. Looks like their next dates are 17th and 18th January 2012.

http://www.foodfarmingforestry.co.uk/

HTH
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 11:38:17 am »
have you had a look at there prices FMG up to £400 per day       i know that first class butchers can get £1000 per day for doing demos          but that takes the biscuit or the rusk    LILLIAN WE HAVE FOUND A NEW SOURCE OF INCOME GET YOUR KNIFES SHARPENED :farmer:

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 01:10:29 pm »
No I hadn't looked at the prices - but have now, up to £400 per course, that's two days. Still even £200 per day does seem expensive.

I expect it's down what my OH calls pratt added tax, i.e. us in the SE seem to like being tubbed over !  ::)
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 01:28:16 pm »
Robert it is funny you say that, I am getting cheesed right off with my butcher and am actually thinking about setting up a butchering service I know of a few that would go mobile I think as so many people now are growing there own food not just veggies would feel better knowing it was there own animal coming back to them or watching the butchering, as you say they can butcher a pig or lamb very quickly, I get about 6 lambs per year from a mate up the road and a young lad butcher that I know comes round out of his working hours and butchers them for me.  It is definitely something to think about. :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 01:48:21 pm »
all the newbies shy away from the cutting part      and we were no exception    we always weighed the pig before it went away and always scratched our head at what little came back and we have tried a good few cutting plants/processers          it is your pig  some take the pluck some take the trotters  others take the head and the rest take the piss     is it your pig your getting back    it is all an element of trust    even if you do get your own pig back some meat can be removed  only a butcher would know
and don't think i am on a rant    just telling like it is :farmer

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 01:56:24 pm »
When we started butchering our own it amazed me at how much more meat/sausages/bacon we got compared with having the butchery done at the abattoir.

Now we butcher for others too it is interesting to see their reaction to the amount they get back compared to their previous experiences.  Several people have never had the tenderloins back before!  I can't believe a butcher would have put them into sausages??!!!

A  lot of people like to come along to watch or join in. 

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 02:09:15 pm »
i cant believe you think the butcher would turn them into sausages :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 02:13:05 pm »
Butchers are crafty folk ;)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 02:17:35 pm »
I do agree with you Robert, I did put 3 pigs in and always ask for the ears and trotters for the dogs and to my disappointment I had all the ears still with my tags in so I knew they were mine though only had 8 trotters I am pretty sure when I unloaded them on Monday morning they all walked to the abattoir pen :o, It going to have to be good old DIY :thumbsup:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 02:18:29 pm »
It was said with 'tongue in cheek' Robert  :) :) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 03:09:57 pm »
i know :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS