Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pigs  (Read 2423 times)

mickeydefrance

• Joined Nov 2011
pigs
« on: November 25, 2011, 07:11:36 am »
Hi there my names mick i live in France i have two young pigs (3months) one of them has what looks like a bad skin condition its on the top half and looks like its blistered and is scabby they live out side  now but were inside for about two weeks the other one has no problems dose any one have any ideas what it could be ? she is feeding well but scratching all the time  cheers Mick :pig:

robert waddell

Re: pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:38:21 am »
hello there in France     without seeing them i would say mange or parasites you can get an injectible wormer that does internal and external  parasites  just ask your vet he will give you enough for to treat the two :farmer:

saraisrunoffherfeet

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 05:31:37 pm »
One of my Kune Kunes has been scabby in the past - flakey looking skin. She is black and white and her sister is ginger but has never had any issues skin wise.
I queried this at the time and was told it was normal. A little concerned still i used some pig oil on her skin which ironically used on  horses to keep the mud off them when they are being ridden out in muddy conditions and it stops the mud clinging to them and comes off easily. However, it was recommended for the pigs skin. I have also used olive oil on her - not in the sunshine though remember, and this she really enjoyed this. She still has flakey skin and they both scratch at the first opportunity and that's natural. In fact she's always had flakey skin.
The blistering - hmmm now that i can't help with.
best of luck.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 10:31:33 am »
Hi from very icy cold Yorkshire this morning
Would agree with Robert that it sounds like mange, you need a ivermectin, doramectin or noramectin jab from vets and t should clear up. Meanwhile keep an eye on any patches that look like migth be infected and swab with wound powder if you can get it or antiseptic. Hope all clears up and you enjoy your piggies, lots of helpful advice always available in pig forum section, some advice you may not like but we try to be honest and give the best of what we know.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

ecohun

• Joined Nov 2011
    • http://www.ecohun.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:44:37 am »
Hi, at this time of year this is almost certainly  not  your problem but in the past when I kept pigs the lighter varieties could get sun burn. Ideally they should have shade but I have resorted occasionally to rubbing Nivia on their backs.

Alan

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:29:49 am »
Hi - we are also in France and keep pigs.  Could be lice - can you see anything moving.  Hows your French - speak to the vet and describe the symptoms.  Could be mange.   We are in Dept 16 Poitou Charente.  Jan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS