Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I a real farmer yet?  (Read 4314 times)

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Am I a real farmer yet?
« on: November 24, 2011, 04:43:31 pm »
I had another communication from the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) today. Including today's offering I now have the following reference numbers:

RPA - Customer registration Personal Identifier number
RPA - County Parish Holding Number
RPA - Single Business Identifier (I haven't a clue what this is)
Animal Health - Customer ID number
Animal Health - Pig location reference number
Animal Health - Chicken location reference number
Animal Health - Herd number
Animal Health - Pig keeper reference number
Animal Health - Chicken keeper reference number
Animal Health - Poultry Register verification reference code
Animal Health - Poultry Register reference number

Please bear in mind I have 2 piglets and 45 chickens. Does this superb collection of reference numbers entitle me to call myself a farmer? What do you reckon the chances are of getting a subsidy for something?

Regards,
Dave

robert waddell

Re: Am I a real farmer yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 04:53:35 pm »
sorry no subsidy's on pigs and none on poultry       unless you are in a big way and claiming environmental grants for improving your facility's :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 05:11:05 pm »

Yes, we just got ourselves on the poultry register. All was fine until the end of the call when the lady said "you need to inform us if the number of any of your birds changes by more than 20%".

"So you're saying I have to phone you if one of our four ducks dies?"

"Well, technically yes, but well, er, use your judgement I suppose"!!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:52:34 pm »
i thought you only had to register with the poultry register if you had 50 birds or more and/or were selling eggs??
ive got 23 should i register?

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:14:37 pm »
i thought you only had to register with the poultry register if you had 50 birds or more and/or were selling eggs??
ive got 23 should i register?
correct, you don't have to register, we did when we did pigs etc....... saves time in the future and they let you know if any issues arise locally

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:44:05 pm »

Yes, 50 birds is the level where you HAVE to register, but you can register voluntarily before that level if you wish.  The key thing was that they wanted to know how many of each species we had, and unfortunately one duck represents 25% of our current flock!  ;D

I can just imagine the phone call now: "Hello, I need to report that a third of our geese have died overnight". "Oh dear, what terrible disease could have caused such mass fatalities?". "Well, I think she must have just passed away in her sleep - she was 20 years old after all......"  ::)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 07:17:31 am »
The reason I registered is that the number of my birds fluctuates over the 50 limit whenever I get a hatch from the incubator.

Sudden thought, the incubator is at home as is the chick rearing kit. Should I also register this location with DEFRA?. It would add to my collection of reference numbers.

Regards,
Dave

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:47:55 am »
Sudden thought, the incubator is at home as is the chick rearing kit. Should I also register this location with DEFRA?. It would add to my collection of reference numbers.

i would register that with defra even as piece of mind.

i have three registered areas where i may or may not keep hens at anyone time - my house - my grans (i have used her garage as an indoor chick holding area) and my local primary school where i have done a few project with that required leaving hens/eggs/for a few weeks.

but it's each to their own how they play it.

as for the initial question - am i a farmer, you are if you feel you are - i have no grants or anything, but i like to class my self as one  ;D  low key poultry farmer. it's a state of mind not just whats on paper

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 12:52:22 pm »
has anyone registered as a incubating unit (or whateva its called) and do u get inspected etc?

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 05:47:43 pm »
i have never had an inspection from defra ever, and i'ver been registered for 2 years now. i thought i might have had one after some ill-informed member of the delightful public reported me to the sspca - because the hens were living in very cramped, muddy conditions - little did they see me cleaning out there bedding areas, and the jcb digging the foundations for a new run  ::)

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 07:00:51 pm »
such a delight the general pubic  i have encountered them on several occasions  felling trees with the appropriate licence      sepa with effluent     have enjoyed every single encounter and the results   
we have had hens (as a family) since the fifty's and have only been inspected once  and that was because a breeder(large scale)wanted to set up a hatchery in the area :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS