Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Producer Report  (Read 3587 times)

gemmaspigs

• Joined Dec 2010
Producer Report
« on: November 23, 2011, 09:01:13 am »
I wonder if anyone can help me. I have been keeping pigs for nearly 2 years now and touch wood i have never had any illnesses. Since April everytime i send a pig to slaughter i have been getting an email which contains a producer report for all of the pigs i have sent and they have always come back clear. However the one i got last night for the pig i sent on Monday has come back with the following comments

Post-mortem inspection - carcase conditions and parts
Condition No of Rejects
Head
Contamination Hair 1

Does anyone know what this means, should i be concerned for the other pigs i still have on the farm?

robert waddell

Re: Producer Report
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:32 am »
i am guessing you did not get the head back                if so it was contaminated with hair or it could have been to big for the pig lines and the head touching the ground        have you asked them for an explanation :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:05:38 am »
Yes ask them for an explanation.

Otherwise perhaps we'll all need to take our pigs to the hairdressers for a No. 1 before they go !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 08:05:50 pm »
what happens if they condemn ur carcuss? do u get a payment?
when delilah went away, they took bloods for trikonella which was clear but did make me think  - cos the value of her meat was quite considerable as she was 14mths old.
i rem someone else on here had carcuss condemned for worm damage.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:10:58 pm »
carcase condemned= diddly squat :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:29:25 pm »
not even get money for dog meat?
do they burn a condemned carcuss then?

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:57:52 am »
as far as i know it is covered in dye and treated as offal :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:46:19 am »
as far as i know it is covered in dye and treated as offal :farmer:

???  'Offal' to me is heart, kidneys, liver, lungs, etc - and no reason I can't eat it!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 09:59:58 am »
on some lines you get back you get charged for disposal of offal    we have not had any pigs condemned or parts of them condemned        if you have a dead pig it costs to dispose of it i am assuming it will be the same for a condemned carcase    sally i know what you are saying but offal covers two categories   edible organs and rubbish :farmer:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 10:09:26 am »
When parts  are condemned the part of the pig that is damaged it is sold at a much cheaper rate to a butcher  who uses the meat for manufacture in to something he can sell to the consumer.  Some times the whole  pig is condemned  I guess the pig is destroyed..... no good to eat any way.

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 08:48:02 pm »
under/after what circumstance is a carcuss likely to condemned then.
i know once member said worm damage, which if remember rightly didnt appear ill before slaughter.
what i mean is what symptoms/illness can cause condemning, and how that be prevented?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:43:09 am »
what i mean is what symptoms/illness can cause condemning, and how that be prevented?

You are unlikely to get a whole carcass destroyed, however you may not get parts back eg liver with worms, joints where a trauma has happened etc.

In terms of prevention I would suggest the following - which I'm pretty sure most on here would do as standard in any case :
Buy from known source (eg not market where you don't know history)
Ensure wormed by breeder, or worm yourself, or do worm counts
Isolate new stock from existing for a period of time to ensure you don't bring illness into the general herd.  This can be from full isolation unit for a month if you are a regular breeder to just keeping new ones away from existing ones for a couple of weeks to check that they are healthy before mixing
Watch your pigs daily rather than just throw food at them, watching is the best way to pick up when pigs are in not well, and knowing your pigs will tell you that they one that is always first for food is now lagging means something not right.  Isolate sick pigs quickly before illness spreads, and treat promptly - if you don't know what's wrong treat symptomatically in conjunction with phone calls to vet.  If bad get vet out rather than hope.

Now of course you don't have to do any or all of the above, and you can get a pair of cracking weaners from a market, not worry about worms, throw them in you herd, chuck food at them and immediately go back inside to watch "strictly" , and end up with fantastic meat on the table, the above all just change the risk that something will go wrong.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS