Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: buying a pig  (Read 4771 times)

andycase007

• Joined Nov 2011
buying a pig
« on: November 21, 2011, 02:38:52 pm »
Hi all

I am not a small holder..... i wish i was!
However i would like to buy a full or half pig so that i can butcher it myself. I am a small holder at heart and would love to try and also save money etc. in the long run.

I can see a couple of places on line that do this, however, i think i could get a better price locally, or from a "non commercial" enterprise...if that's the right way to put it.

I love in Lancaster, Lancashire and can travel throughout Lancashire and Cumbria

Can anyone help?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: buying a pig
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 03:49:00 pm »
If no luck on here try the Gloucestershire Old Spots Breeders Club.....www.oldspots.org.  There is a list of breeders on there, it's worth contacting someone local to you on there.

Failing that if you want a short stay in Devon to learn how to butcher 1/2 pig,  and then take the meat home with you let me know  :)

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:46:36 pm »
Hi Julie, the butchery instruction sounds interesting. What does it entail? Thanks  :yum:

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:07:04 pm »
You should give Jane a ring at Askerton castle. near Brampton. They are online and very kind, we do let the butcher our animals, they have their own as well and a very nice farm around it. Greet her from me :-)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:21:53 pm »
We can show you how to butcher a 1/2 pig to your requirements, including making sausages.  You then take the packed pork home with you. 

You can do this in a day, or why not make a short break of it and get a 'taste of the country' and learn about keeping pigs and chickens too? 

We can tailor a break to suit you.  Just let us know the time you have available and what you would like to do.

:)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 03:57:40 am »
Hi all

I am not a small holder..... i wish i was!
However i would like to buy a full or half pig so that i can butcher it myself. I am a small holder at heart and would love to try and also save money etc. in the long run.

I can see a couple of places on line that do this, however, i think i could get a better price locally, or from a "non commercial" enterprise...if that's the right way to put it.

I love in Lancaster, Lancashire and can travel throughout Lancashire and Cumbria

Can anyone help?
Pigs cost money to buy, to rear,  to take to the slaughter  house, to kill and then to pick up for ;your own use.   They are not cheap.  I dont sell any thing for nothing and I cant imagine any one else doing it either.    Every thing you feed cost you money up front before you have it on your plate.  Something to think about when wanting something for your self.   May be you need to become a small grower and understand what goes into getting a pig  from a small piglet to some thing  that is  big enough to slaugher.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 09:41:29 am »

Don't be too harsh Blonde - I'm not sure the OP is necessarily after something on the cheap, he probably just wants to support small growers, and not be ripped off.

I had the same thing recently with our turkeys. A friend wants to buy one of ours for Christmas, so I said I'd match whatever her local farm shop is charging.......... then she came back with a leaflet - nearly £10 per kilo for bronze birds!!  So, whilst coming direct to me is never going to save her money compared with Tescos, I'm certainly not going to charge her as much as the (very posh) farm shop, when I know that the true cost of production is nowhere near that.

In the end, I'm happy because selling a couple of turkeys makes our own Christmas Dinner a bit cheaper, and my friends get top quality birds, which they know have been well looked after. Every one's a winner, and I'm sure it could be the same with the pigs.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 09:56:52 am »
and the thing is womnle that shop will get sales of turkeys   are they producing them as well as selling them
the same thing with pigs some advertised on the net are priced at over a thousand pounds depends on carcase weight      there was one sales leaflet i was shown last year with a lot of inferences and a bloody high price tag
anyway pigs if you are wanting the cheapest go to your local slaughter house and buy a half or whole pig they will the genuine commercial reared ones     next on the cheapness scale is your local market    picking up a pig that some poor sod cant afford to feed or just wanting shot of
next is contact a breeder that has finished pigs for sale           then you could trawl the net and see what is on offer local to you :farmer:

andycase007

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 10:56:52 am »
Blonde

Not sure where that came from???? Thanks for the hostility
If your pigs are as good as your manner, then i wouldn't buy from you anyway. I asked a simple, polite question, and unless you can answer it, there was really no need to post.

I have not said i want it cheap. What i want is the best value, the best pork, perhaps even visit the farm i'm getting it from. I care where my produce comes from.
I have a mobile butcher who works behind my place of employment and can get meat dirt cheap......but i dont. because its intensively reared and i want to support local people putting in the time and effort to produce the best.

However, if i can save on carriage by not buying off the internet... whats the problem with that?!

And as for your remark regarding becoming a small grower........i wish i could. But with growing debt, small garden and 2 children......i can't. But then that's not gone anything to do with my original post has it

Thanks to all those who can see that i am not after cheap meat or a bargain....im after the best. I want to be involved with what i buy to the extent possible, and if i was in the fortunate position to be a small grower i wouldn't be posting on here....i would be doing it. I am a Hugh Fearnly Wittingstall at heart, if not in acreage

susanrich93

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 03:04:38 am »
Hi Andy . Just wondered if you found a pig?
Susan.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 08:37:00 am »
This post was from 2011...   ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS