Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pigs and water  (Read 5086 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
pigs and water
« on: November 19, 2011, 04:42:16 pm »
Our pigs never touch their water ( it's in a BLUE plastic trough). They have drunk milk, apple juice or cider waste from a white bucket. In recent times I have taken to adding water to their morning feed because we have had no rain for a few weeks and they have no green grass to chomp on. They do get lots of apples every day but never drink water even if they miss out on apples.
Oh - their water is inside next to their food trough but they have a large patch outside to attend. Their stools are generally well formed / firm.
Any thoughts?
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: pigs and water
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 05:44:12 pm »
sounds unusual - ours drink a trough full every day and are fed on mash made up with water (plus grass, veg etc)

perhaps they don't like blue?

or its an unsuitable size/depth...
Little Blue

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 06:17:35 pm »
the breed could make a difference     Hampshire's drink an inordinate amount of water but then again they pish even more than other pigs
i would not think the colour would make a difference but you never know with pigs
maybe they are getting enough from the other sources   you could try putting the apple juice in there water either that you have pampered pigs :farmer:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 04:59:41 pm »
Pigs are Cul Noir and the water trough is one of those large plastic storage boxes used to transport goods to offices. Maybe I should move it outside and dig a a hole for it .
Maybe they just don't drink as much as English breeds - like the human equivalent. We take long cups of tea and pints of beer and they drink espresso and small glasses of wine ( or beer).
I'll report back if I discover that they do not like the blue trough.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 05:56:04 pm »
okay, different species but ... our goat will only stand still to be milked if her food comes in a yellow bucket.  For her other meals, it can be yellow, black, blue, green, whatever but has to be yellow at Milktime!

sounds really obvious, but you're sure they can actually reach to drink, once its gone down abit?
Little Blue

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:36:28 pm »
well the water NEVER goes down. I have dropped apples in it and they can reach them but they did give up dunking after a while. I may look for a blue bucket and see if they follow me around with it like they do with red or yellow buckets. If not then maybe that will confirm that they have a colour prejudice. Hope they never discover that I am Jewish too.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:32:20 pm »
 ;D
Tell us more about the black bottomed Cul Noir. They look like a saddleback with 2 white bands instead of one  :D  What do you keep them for - big pet or table?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »
I wonder if the non-food-grade plastic taints the water?  Perhaps try them with water in something that's definitely food grade plastic, or non-galvanised metal, and that's lower to the ground - and not worry about whether or not they tip it over while you discover whether they will drink water at all out of anything!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 03:28:44 am »
the breed could make a difference     Hampshire's drink an inordinate amount of water but then again they pish even more than other pigs
i would not think the colour would make a difference but you never know with pigs
maybe they are getting enough from the other sources   you could try putting the apple juice in there water either that you have pampered pigs :farmer:
Hampshire  dont seem to mind what colour their drinker is they drink as much as the rest of them do each day....  I would take away the sweet drinks and just offer water...... they will drink in time as they will get thirsty.   Pigs that dictate the terms  can become dangerous as they grow up.  You need to dictate the terms to them and be the boss. Pigs should  treated as pigs and not as children or babies.  They are livestock and not pets and have a different lifestyle....... to say a dog or a cat.     The survive very well on grain and green feed, some fruit and the most necessary item they need is WATER...... Their bodily functions  require water to help break down the proteins, sugars, carbohydrates etc to make the pig grow and survive.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 08:47:45 am »
Thanks but they have only had apple juice 3 times when we had waste, Maybe they get enough water in their morning swill and from fruit and veg in the day. Still not drinking water though.
Pigs are not pampered are nameless and ignored if they see me with a bucket and squeal for food.
thanks again all - I will post something if I discover their aversion to a specific colour of feeder etc.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 11:03:51 am »
For those interested in what a cul noir looks like

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Cul_noir.JPG
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 11:20:18 am »
yes i googled them as well your photo is better than the ones i saw      a bit lacking in conformation especially the second one in :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS