Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In pig or not?  (Read 4738 times)

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
In pig or not?
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:58:16 pm »
I have a yorkshire 2 yr old sow that farrowed last year but hasn't caught this year. My other hamp sow had her litter in July so it shouldn't be the boar. I keep putting off taking her to market as she looks and acts in pig but nothing happens. I'm starting to think she's acting the part. Any way someone knows to tell whether she is carying-I hate the idea of sending her off pregnant. Thanks

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: In pig or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 01:05:05 pm »
Pig farmers used to use Doppler probes that you hold against the flank of the sow just in front of her back leg. With experience you can detect the increased blood flow to the uterus by the different sounds. The other way I know of is to use ultrasound scanning in the same way as is done for sheep. However I suspect she'll not be in pig from what you have written.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:06:32 pm »
It costs £25 to scan my bitches, but I suspect it wouldn't be worth doing that for a pig?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 01:09:00 pm »
what age is the boar      you could get him fertility tested :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 01:58:21 pm »
I'm not sure whther my Kunes are in pig. The boar I borrowed has never been seen to "perform" and the only time I've seen him nudging the gilts in the belly is to shove them away from the grub ::)
One, however seems very low to the ground and her nipples are prominent. She also seems overly "clingy" and a bit depressed. The boar went in at the end of July,( 28th) so I am preparing as though she is about to farrow (finger's crossed)
The only thing you can do, Lostlambs, is to wait I suppose :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 02:01:26 pm »
Excuse my ignorance, Robert, but if he sired a litter earlier in the year could his fertility have dropped or even disappeared altogether?  I know it can happen if there is injury or emotional problems where humans are concerned - can that happen with pigs?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 03:32:10 pm »
Short of scanning I don't think there's a absolute certain way to tell.
But watch for signs of season, response to back pressure etc
And keep her away from the boar - if she's not in-pig, she'll be desperate to get through to him and he'll be really interested in her  ;)
We AI'd our Berkshire today, and she was flirting with my OH before  ::) Even led him into her ark for the 'deed' to occur - obviously shy about public displays of affection  :D :D :D

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 04:08:22 pm »
yes Annie it is possible  an infection   or some disease      may look alright but firring blanks  it happens more than you think :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 02:04:54 am »
It costs £25 to scan my bitches, but I suspect it wouldn't be worth doing that for a pig?

60p to £1 / sheep - but of course that's in bulk.  We did get Meg scanned when the cattle AI man was here, not sure what he charged but I could look it up if asked  :)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:05:53 am »
Just last week i decided that my sow who is due in about six weeks no longer looked pregnant and i couldn't feel anything so i decided to ask our neighbour to bring over the sheep radar and headphones to double check, he had a good listen and i'm pleased to say he said there were definetly piglets but not very many which explains why she's not so big, at least now i can make my plans and know for sure. The scan cost me some sausages and pork chops but well worth the peace of mind. See if you have a sheep farming neighbour who'd help quite often thye'll come and have a listen out of curiosity, most farmers don't get to se real pigs there days!!
HTH
mandy  :pig:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 04:02:33 am »
Pig farmers used to use Doppler probes that you hold against the flank of the sow just in front of her back leg. With experience you can detect the increased blood flow to the uterus by the different sounds. The other way I know of is to use ultrasound scanning in the same way as is done for sheep. However I suspect she'll not be in pig from what you have written.
Having a listen is a good idea, sound like water wooshing by tells you the sows are in pig....but I guess from what has been written she is not in pig, no milk bag to see and no line.  I would take her to the abattoir if it were me and start a fresh ..... think she is having a lend of you and having a free feed or so she thinks

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 01:20:31 pm »
Thanks for the ideas, I don't think anyone around here has a scanner-the only ones that use them come out for large groups of animals or the vets so I think I'll probably take her in to the abbatoirs. I'll probably send in the boar too if I can't sell him and start over next spring. I'll save back one of the other sows litter-he's a red spotted berk cross so is nice to look at and since I raised him know his temperment

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS