Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help please .... how can i get a pig to drink water  (Read 7144 times)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
Re: help please .... how can i get a pig to drink water
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 07:41:46 pm »
Just Squweel the place down instead, I sit for a long time in with my pregnant sow and just talk to her about stuff, she can be a bit like my husband and grunt in the right places. ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 08:27:24 pm »
grumpsgarden,
we had the same concerns with our hand-reared  piglets, they seemed very slow to take to food & water.
water down the milk, persevere, be patient, use a small bowl .... and above all, leave the piglet slightly hungry & leave him alone with the water bowl!  Of course, little Lucky is always way behind her sister, so we'd give her more milk and less water.
One day when you think it'll never happen, he'll take to it so don't panic
Little Blue

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 08:38:43 pm »
thank you all for your help at least i know ive got some support here to just give me a boost when im unsure as i dont want to harm my animals but do want to do the best i can for them even if it seems i have to be cruel to be kind sort of thing , at least its still quiet out side so hopeful he will stay asleep until morning , well i can dream  ???

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 01:07:28 pm »
well after going all night with no milk or food and a very late feed time this morning due to haveing to repen my 2 girls that thought a early morning stroll was called for he has eaten his nuts with no banana and only 1 bottle of milk about 500 mls and the rest water so around 3 pints of water he drunk the lot then went to sleep so toped his water up and left him ,hoping for a quiter night has one neighbour realy dont like the nose he makes

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 02:00:23 pm »
Just Squweel the place down instead, I sit for a long time in with my pregnant sow and just talk to her about stuff, she can be a bit like my husband and grunt in the right places. ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 08:31:32 pm »
OMG this is our house!!!
Mandy :pig:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 03:16:48 am »
well after going all night with no milk or food and a very late feed time this morning due to haveing to repen my 2 girls that thought a early morning stroll was called for he has eaten his nuts with no banana and only 1 bottle of milk about 500 mls and the rest water so around 3 pints of water he drunk the lot then went to sleep so toped his water up and left him ,hoping for a quiter night has one neighbour realy dont like the nose he makes
Pigs dont go without food for any length of time.    they wont starve or go thirsty....... He wille ventually eat and drink but the trick is not to give him any more milk or banana...... try some apple or just pig nuts.    Give him some green feed and see what happens.   What about some fresh dirt out of the garden.  This generally sets the pig going when there is something new given to him/her.  Curiosity is all it sometimes takes to get the pig off one track on to another.    I give my choc milk powder in a dry form amongst their crushed grain and they sure grow on it, but once they hit say 20 kg they lose the milk in their feed.  the also lose the other goodies I put in and just have grains crushed, minerals, meat meal, blood meal and tallow.   Now that is a thought give h im a little tallow on his nuts, he might just forget all about his milk.    Feed on the ground with his pig nuts and a cup drinker attached to a hose and bolted to the wall  cant tip it over then and cant tip his feed over either.  He may stand in it but that is pigs.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 05:42:47 pm »
thank you all he now drinks water and eats pig nuts also he has a apple a day , must amit the nuts are in his water as he seems to like that ive tried his nuts on the floor he still wont eat them but does eat and drink if his water and food are in the same dish it also stops him tipping it but at least he is of his milk  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 09:00:51 pm »
Well done for staying strong and not giving in to him  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 09:26:42 pm »
Well done, gg  :thumbsup:  You won in the end!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 11:50:50 am »
Well done Grumps, the moral of the story is don't spoil your pigs :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS