Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help please .... how can i get a pig to drink water  (Read 7143 times)

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
help please .... how can i get a pig to drink water
« on: November 18, 2011, 06:01:16 pm »
help please the hand readed pigglet still wont drink water at all only waterd down milk but if its too watery he wont drink just throws a wobbly tosses his dish around until he gets his milk , he also wont eat pig nuts on there own only with crushed banana how do i get this very spolt pig to drink and eat like a pig , so every day and all feed times he trashes his dishes if he hasnt got what he wants i have tried leaving him until next feed time to try get him to eat and drink water ,thank you

robert waddell

Re: help please .... how can i get a pig to drink water
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:04:51 pm »
you have one spoiled pig give it sod all for at least 24 hrs then try it again   i think you are to soft ;) :farmer:

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:07:44 pm »
but he will cry and squil and hes the baby , think the neighbours will complain well ive had to leave him tonight as ive run out of milk until the morning will he stop making a racket  ???

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 06:09:54 pm »
What breed of pig are we talking about?. Is the pig outside or inside?. i hand reared 2 saddleback piglets and they were milk mad I did put them on a lamb teat drinker once they got bigger in my shed with a heat lamp, if you persist with the water and pellets only it will eventually eat it though if outside try and attache the feeder and drinker to something to stop it knocking if over once the pig realises that the feeder and drinker won't move it will leave it alone, you could try warming the water.   :pig:

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 06:16:21 pm »
hes a welsh x outside now in a pen hes 8 weeks old and he has solid dishes as i call them which i used on 5 other hand reed pigs and they didnt move them but him he just graps them and throws them about ive been putting water and nuts down in the mornings and he just toses the dishes and the nuts are still all over the floor well they where until i cleaned him out in the eveing so he has gone all day with no food and every time i put water in he tosses it until i gave him his waterd down milk then he drunk it and gobbled his pig nuts with mashed banana tonight , and yeh i know a very spolt pig thats gets hugs and belly rubs more then dogs  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 06:18:28 pm »
I agree with Robert - 24 hours starvation sorts out all, but the very fussiest of eaters  ;)
Providing he's old enough to go 24 hours without it having a negative effect on him - probably over about 4 weeks, I think I'd be wary of doing it much before that  :-\
Get some ear plugs (drop some in to your neighbours too  ;)) and prepare for the battle of wills - you have to win, or you'll be forever ruled by this pig  :D
Good luck !
Karen  :wave:

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 06:24:14 pm »
ok looks like im going round the neighbours and letting them know im not realy starving the pig but making him eat right lol will tell the daughter not to give him his milk as well and he is 8 weeks and a realy good size as hes been on about 4 pints of milk per feed and 3 bananas plus his nuts in them as well thank you will let you all know hows he gets on over the weekend

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 06:30:00 pm »
If he's having all that milk he won't be hungry at all - that's why he's not eating  ;)
My (2 legged) baby was the same - too full of milk to be interested in food.
He'll be fine, not happy - but fine and he'll learn from this that you are the boss (hopefully  :D)
Good luck !

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 06:32:07 pm »
You could try 24 hr starvation or wow down on the milk that is a lot of milk for 8 weeks old and just put some milk say half a pint and pour the milk onto his nuts (pardon the pun) :o.  my Boar Bob is spoilt but you have to remember that they are livestock not pets.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »
the welsh pigs can be aggressive  imagine what like it will be when it gets bigger it will be you that is tossed about :farmer:

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 06:37:24 pm »
ops i was saying he was getting a little porky lol well he is having his first night with out milk as i have run out so hopful he will eat his pig nuts tomorrow , jusy had a neighbour round asking why he was still making a racket and if i can shut it up told them i was sorry but he must learn and ive moved him as far away from the houses as possiable  ::) he is having it waterd down and has been for 2 weeks now ive been trying to get it more water to milk but when it goes to under half milk he wont drink it

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 06:47:33 pm »
If the pig by itself might be an idea to get company for it then it might not make so much noise, food will then become more of a challenge as it will have to push for it's food. Ditto Robert all pigs that get away with a lot can be aggressive as they think they run the show I had  Saddleback boar once that was ok with me but was starting to get funny with both my sons so they weren't allowed in the pen while he was still there, he was a big chap when he went for slaughter, I think he even went for one of the slaughterman that got to close to me and he was by no means pampered. You do have to be very careful.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 06:55:08 pm »
i was hoping to get a nother pig to go with him as  my other pigs are 5 months old so all to big , ive been out side and think he has gone to sleep now as its nice and quite out there , i knew i was going to have a proplem with him when i couldnt get him of his milk , so hopful im not to late to change his ways a bit lol ::)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 07:31:14 pm »
Hope so best of luck anyway. :wave:

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 07:37:49 pm »
i will let you all know how its goes over the next couple of days thought the night feeds where bad enough oh well still rather have the animals then most human company they are great fun and dont talk back  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS