Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why the difference in pig id?  (Read 7537 times)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Why the difference in pig id?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 01:10:20 pm »
Dave,

When you have a system which is :

Dreamt up in Brussels
Argued over by 17+ competing state interests, until compromise (ie watering down and confusion) is reached
Gold plated by dEfra (with the emphasis on Environment), and handed to...
..Legal eagles who have never met a pig
who create 20 separate pieces of legislation that pig keepers need to adhere to (ignoring numerous H&S and general farming legislation)
which are then administered by
Defra and...
The Rural Payments Agency and...
Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency and....
Trading Standards and..
Meat Hygiene Service and...
Food Standards Agency and...
Meat and Livestock Commercial Services and...
British Pig Executive...

it is obvious that a single co-herent consistent view will arise, which everyone will know - isn't it?
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »
Well at least you kept BT (or whoever is your phone provider) happy - what is your phone bill after this marathon???

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 02:56:31 pm »
Anke,

I only posted a condensed version of all my conversations.

To give an example: For some obscure reason that I never ascertained, the AHVLA also wanted to know if I kept any other livestock. I told them I keep rare breed chickens as a hobby. I said I had already registered my flock with the GB poultry register back in April. Despite this, the location of where they were kept was required. I managed to satisfy them on this despite not being able to provide a postcode. I explained that the post office were unwilling to deliver to my shed in the middle of a field.  They asked if they were kept for egg production or raised as meat birds. I repeated that they were (speaking slowly with slightly increased volume as if speaking to a foreigner) HOBBY RARE BREED CHICKENS and were kept as they look nice. Any eggs produced (I wish, haven't seen anything ovoid shape for weeks), were eaten, the surplus cockerels also being eaten. On being asked how many chickens I kept, to the disappointment of the enquirer who obviously hoped I had thousands, I replied about 45. I have the registration certificate in front of me. All this information in minute detail is already in their possession.

So the phone bill is even bigger than you imagined!

Regards,
Dave

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 03:07:31 pm »
Oaklands, perhaps with some slight cynicism, said:

>When you have a system which is :

>Dreamt up in Brussels
>Argued over by 17+ competing state interests, until compromise (ie watering down and confusion) is reached
>Gold plated by dEfra (with the emphasis on Environment), and handed to...
>..Legal eagles who have never met a pig
>who create 20 separate pieces of legislation that pig keepers need to adhere to (ignoring numerous H&S and >general farming legislation)
>which are then administered by
>Defra and...
>The Rural Payments Agency and...
>Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency and....
>Trading Standards and..
>Meat Hygiene Service and...
>Food Standards Agency and...
>Meat and Livestock Commercial Services and...
>British Pig Executive...

>it is obvious that a single co-herent consistent view will arise, which everyone will know - isn't it?

Is this an example of the joined up government we have all been hearing so much about recently?

Seriously though, thanks very much for the info you posted. I do not how I would get on without you and the others who have contributed to this thread and the previous threads on this subject. If only the powers that be understood it half so well.

Thanks,
Dave

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 03:47:57 am »
David, if your piglets are kept outside those tags will indefinitely come out so it will be worth getting some of your own, when I started with pigs all the wieners I purchased were already tagged and as they are reared outside all the ears were ripped but the tags getting very muddy and just tear through the ear, I always tag before slaughter now and yes the plastic ones are fine during the killing process. :thumbsup:
JUST TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT SLIGHTLY....If the tags are put back in t eir ears when  gilts then the tags will generally  stay their.  I notch my tags so  that the number is always visible.  Just use a small tag and use a button on the inside of the ear.  You can also change colours to keep the year in mind.  This does not help with your movment but we have to use a slap brand only nothing else is allowed.    On the left shoulder  if borne on the farm and....... the right if born on some  one elses farm.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS