Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please - Worming the piglets  (Read 7926 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Advice please - Worming the piglets
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 01:00:11 am »
If the farmer wanted organic weaners does that mean you would have to have fed your sow organically as well as technically the milk she has beed feeding them would not be 100% and the food you have fed them up to  leaving your property should also be organic?

The two I've sold are going to an organic farm, but will not be reared organically. 

In this case it's the other way about.  The weaners will be reared for the household, and they are not bothered about them being organic.  They have placed no restrictions on me whatsoever, having checked with their certification body that it is ok for them to buy non-organic pigs and rear them non-organically on the organic land.  Obviously they could not sell the pigs nor the pork as organic - but they don't want to, so that's fine.

It is me that is wanting to be a bit careful about the wormer (if any.)  I know that some of the chemicals we put down the throats and into the bloodstream and flesh, and on the skins, of our livestock continue to have effects beyond the intended ones on the parasites or other conditions on or in the livestock.  For instance, a farm which puts Clic on its sheep is likely to find the cow pats lying, not getting broken down and incorporated into the soil, as the active ingredient in the Clic survives its passage through the sheep and kills dung beetles amongst other soil organisms for many weeks or even months.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 03:19:01 am »
agree with Mandy      but if you want them wormed and to be truly organic       feed them garlic the worms shoot right out apparently      but that would only work if the garlic was organic  who knows who cares :farmer:
What do you use Robert?

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 09:44:04 am »
we used to use the powder   now we use the injectable wormer for internal and external parasites :farmer:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 10:00:45 am »
That  is Ivermectin I understand?   which comes in an injectable form and a powder added to their feed.  both ahve a 28 day with holding period  I use both I also use Wormtec ....nil withholding period for the local market and 35 day withholding period for export.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS