Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My piglets  (Read 2861 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
My piglets
« on: November 13, 2011, 11:23:00 pm »
Went to collect the two little ones from Little Blue today.  Oooh ....they are gorgeous.  Lucky is tiny in comparison to Mogwai .....hard to believe they are the same age.  They travelled snuggled up in the straw, and were fast asleep when we got back with them. 

I had instructions from Little Blue that they liked apple and banana, and being sung to ....er .....well, gave them one of my lovely hone grown apples cut into little slices, and they leapt up and ate the lot, so obeyed that instruction ok.  As for the singing......no.  Forgot to ask what sort of songs they enjoy?!!

Lovely to see Little Blue and Jason and all the animals. I like going there - reminds me of my place but on a smaller scale (lots of animals!)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: My piglets
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:05:52 pm »
How cute.  Hope they bring you hours of joy.  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:28:55 pm »
aw, thankyou :bouquet: we like you two coming too! :)

The girls like any songs that the words "pig" "piggy" or "Lucky Lulu" can be fitted into - tunefulness not required!
Or just to be spoken to, all the time that they are awake.
"pig-pig-pig-pig" is a good one :D

Did you hear them snoring yet, should have warned you it's very loud!

Typically, Frankie & Alfie the "kittens" strolled in just after you'd gone - Frank looked very sleepy. I'd told them to show their furry faces so you could see how they've grown, but being cats they did their own thing! 
Del the tabby is just the same when her 'breeder' comes, yet she stayed curled up on that chair all the time you were here....

Little Blue

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:29:26 pm »
PS Home Farmer is good, thanks again :)
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:13:33 am »
Two little ones have settled in fine.  Eating and drinking, and squeaking loudly when they hear any movement near by.  Big one got out while I was puting in feed and water.  No way could  I carry her back, had to guide her.  Light a ton weight she is!!  Lucky is fat enough too .....just about the quarter of her sisters size!!  I do wonder how she does not get squashed when the other one lies down next to her. She may be diddy, but seems to hold her own, and get in for the food quick enough!!

The two fully grown girls look massive when I go to feed them, having seen the little ones.  Their heads particularly see, enormous!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:19:38 pm »
they'll shout up every time they hear somebody ... the "joy" of a hand-raised youth, as you well know!
Thank goodness Mog went back in, she'd have never found her way back here if they slept all the way to yours! :D

don't they seem to drink alot, for littlies too?
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:02:09 am »
Yes, I cannot believe how fast they empty the water container!!  I have been mixing their feed with water, so its not as though they are eating dry food. I seem to be forever carrying water to my animals, and now these two as well ......

Yes, can just see the little pig walking down the A6 towards Bakewell .....she may have stopped off for a breather at the Bakewell pudding shop - and eaten the contents I daresay.

Little pigs are awfully strong for their size - and very noisy.  Suppose my neighbour who complained about the noise of the other two, will moan about the additional noise now.

It must be quite in your kitchen, Ruth without the little pigs around ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 06:23:36 pm »
Must be quiet in your kitchen, Ruth without the little pigs around ;D

yep, though it means Sheba the german shepherd can be in there now - she's have eaten the little pigs without a second thought so we felt it safer to keep her away!
So its not exactly quiet as she's like a large hairy tornado with an extra devastating limb - the big whippy tail that send everything flying! :D

Its funny not having them there to talk to....
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:12:12 pm »
Our extremely large GSD has not seen the little pigs yet, but he is usally pretty good with the other livestock.  He walks over the field every morning to peer over the half door and say hello to the goat kids.  Not sure what he would make of the pigs though.  The kittens and their mum are next to the piglets, and at first Lillian the mother cat kept hissing at them, but she seems happy enough now, and the biggest piglet runs amont the kittens!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 11:45:00 am »
New babies are lovely and give lots of fun.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS