Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: purchase boar tomorrow versus AI  (Read 3419 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
purchase boar tomorrow versus AI
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:02:08 pm »
The ad says "Boar, breeding age White with red and gray markings...$150.

The seller says price is negotiable, age of boar is 8 months.  We are going to look tomorrow at the sow he is out of and him of course.

It would cost a minimum of $90 for 3 goes(that's the cheapest I have found) of AI stuff plus equipment, plus postage to do our gilt during one heat.  Then we have to hope we get it right.

Versus this boar who can do the deed right and proper. When he is done hubby says we can send him to market. (I'm hoping he is nice and we can keep him as company for our lone girl)  I know we have to feed him too.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: purchase boar tomorrow versus AI
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:12:03 pm »

At 8 months is he a proven producer?

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »
I am looking for someone to tell me (honestly) that it is okay to keep a boar. That you have one or have had one and it works out just fine.  That he wont kill me or eat us out of house and home.

I just am not comfortable with the whole AI thing. I am worried about purchasing the stuff needed and being unsuccessful. $$ down the drain.

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 12:22:43 pm »
At 8 months is he a proven producer?

Good question...I don't know.  I 8 months old enough to do the deed if all else is good?

Can we eat this guy when we are done with him?  What is this taint that I have read about on here. 

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 12:40:10 pm »
the boar should be able to work at 8 months  is the gilt/sow the same size
boar taint is easier detected by a woman than men but once you recognise it you will know some breeds are more pungent than others some can work and not be detected you just wont know until he is cooking or being cut up
yes you can eat him after he has done the job but make sure she is in pig first :farmer:

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:52:37 pm »
Gilt is 10 months and about the same size.

Any reason they cant live together when we get him home?   We will have a marriage ceremony first of course!

She would love a friend.  We had to send our other gilt to butcher due to a hip problem or something that made her backend keep collapsing. 

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:33:30 pm »
All my boars live with the sows right up to farrowing, I have had one stay in after farrowing and he was fine, just depends on the pig.
As to wether he will kill you or not you will have to see what his temperament is like when you go see him. I have 4 boars and they are all great, soft as anything but you do hear horror stories but a lot to do with how they are treated.
He won't eat much more than a sow so won't eat you out of house and home.
Good luck with it and let us know how it goes. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 02:14:55 pm »
If you've only got the one gilt/sow she's unlikely to keep him from getting 'frustrated'  ;) It's better to have at least 3 or 4 females to keep the boar happy. Is there no-one close who could loan you a boar until you've got enough breeding stock to keep him working all the time ?

You mention your other one had a problem with it's back end - was this as the result of injury or was it something in the breeding ? If it was something in the breeding - is your remaining gilt from the same litter ? If she's from the same litter with a possible problem - I'd be really wary of breeding from her to be honest  :-\
She's got to be able to take the weight of the boar at service (and it can be for as long as 30 minutes) and then you've got the pregnancy & farrowing to get through too - it might be too much for her to cope with.

If you do decide to go ahead and get him, I wouldn't put them straight in together. Keep him seperate from her for at least 3 weeks til you're sure he's not carrying any infections, then introduce them in neighbouring paddocks, after a day or so you can put them both in together - make sure there's plenty of flight space, if they don't get on and one has to leg it you don't want them jumping fences  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS