Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig training - my pigs are eating me!!!  (Read 2696 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Pig training - my pigs are eating me!!!
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:14:32 pm »
Loving my piggies, and all good except they have now started having a good chew of my wellies and trousers whenever I go in the pen and they aren't busy eating.  Can/should I stop this? If so, how is the kindest way to tell a pig no?!  or is it just normal 'toddler' behavior?  Every day a different question!  Many thanks

robert waddell

Re: Pig training - my pigs are eating me!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:19:57 pm »
it is great that they come up to you and are friendly   but once they get a bit bigger that is when the trouble starts better giving them a tap on the nose just now or having them knock you over or worse bitting the hand that feeds them :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:23:19 pm »
Erm, it's supposed to be the other way round  :D
Definately nip it in the bud now. It's quite cute when they're just little weaners but by the time they're getting on for 6 months and able to bite through the wellie in one go - you realise how important it is that they know YOU are the boss. Tell them 'NO' firmly and either push them away or give them a tap on the snout - you've got to mean it though, especially with boars, or they just think it's a game  ::) Pigs aren't stupid (in fact they are smarter than dogs  ;)) so it's easy to train them, just start young and stay consistant with it
Good luck & let us know how you get on.
Karen  :wave:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:39:22 pm »
One of mine tried to eat my welly last week, he got a right old smack off me :pig:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:06:27 am »
My little boar, who, I think, had been a bit spoiled used to jump up at me when I came in with food. I stopped him by offering him a banana and if he jumped up, putting it behind my back at the same time as saying "Sit!! firmly whilst holding the banana-less hand above his snout. He got the banana when he backed away a bit. It took only a day or so for him to learn and now, bless him, he sits as soon as he sees me :)
Obviously, if your pigs are for slaughter this would not be a good idea (even I couldn't eat a pig that sat and offered a trotter :'() but maybe something along these lines. Just getting them to back off would do.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 09:56:15 am »
Many many thanks just what I needed to know.  And a laugh to boot. ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS