Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Down sizing  (Read 1892 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Down sizing
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:42:46 pm »
So after much agonising we decided to sell all the remaining pigs except Kim and aggie. Boris went to his new home Sunday and the 5 gilts are going for breeding Saturday. Virtually gave them all away but I wanted to see them go for breeding as we've loads of pork from the boars we sent to slaughter.
It's been a real experience and maybe one day when I've time to devote to developing a Market I'll do it again.. For now it's the girls as pets and fatteners when we need more pork.. Anything else is just too much work and too expensive for now. Bit sad but there you go.

HappyHippy

Re: Down sizing
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:09:12 pm »
It is a bit sad Helen, but needent be the end of your pig breeding  ;)
And don't go buying fatteners for pork, now the girls have had a litter you should be able to AI them without problems and even get pedigree Saddleback semen from Deerpark for around £30............just tell hubby you're down sizing and express great joy at their 'immaculate conceptions'  :D :D :D

Hope your foot's all recovered now ?
Take care  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:25:17 am »
Hi Helen
Tough descision but unfortunately lifes like that, agree with HH's comments, with AI and good management you could maybe have a litter once a year say in may for the Xmas porker market. Just don't let the girls get too fat.  At least you've still got Kim & Aggie still.
All the best and stay in touch with us all.
Mandy  :pig:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:19:16 pm »
Thanks both  :bouquet:
I'm sad about it but it's for the best right now. Ankle is all better now Thanks Karen  :) you never know I may talk OH into letting me get them in pig again in the future but doesn't look very promising.. At least I have my girls tho still. :thumbsup:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »
shame, but good on you for making a tough but obviously necessary decision
:)
 :love: Kim & Aggie! :love:
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS