Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Large Black pig weight at 7 months?  (Read 6034 times)

luminousbrit

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Shropshire
    • Gilberries Smallholding
    • Facebook
Large Black pig weight at 7 months?
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:02:33 pm »
Hi all,

My two Large Black gilts are coming up to 7 months. They will be used for breeding next year.

Does anyone know what weight they should be at 7 months?

Many thanks,

LB
Bye For Now,

Luminousbrit

HappyHippy

Re: Large Black pig weight at 7 months?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:15:44 pm »
I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer to this one  ;)
As long as they aren't too thin (backbone visible) or too fat (can't feel ribs) then they'll be alright.
Somewhere between 70 and 90Kg would be about the right ballpark.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

themasterbutcher

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:21:36 pm »
Depends what you are feeding them but 80 - 100 kg would be right, (just a nice size for my block) !!.

luminousbrit

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Shropshire
    • Gilberries Smallholding
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:47:57 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for the replies  :wave:

I have bought one of those pig tape things that give you a good idea of the weight, it comes out to 77kg which seems to be okay with what you have said  :thumbsup:

Thanks again.
Bye For Now,

Luminousbrit

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:52:37 pm »

I have bought one of those pig tape things

ooohhh   ....where did u get that from?
i used a horse one but think its too generous as there isnt a long neck on a pig.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 10:10:15 pm »
I got mine from Ascott. Pretty accurate, though I subtract about 6kg for Tamworths because they don't generally have a generous back end.
http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Supplements_and_Herbal_Grass_Seed.html (Scroll down the page)

www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 10:49:50 pm »
i had a look, and saw its for cattle and pigs, so do u think they horse one might be close-ish too?
thanx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:44:43 am »
i had a look, and saw its for cattle and pigs, so do u think they horse one might be close-ish too?
thanx

Pigs are physiologically very close to humans.  Cattle are ruminants, more like sheep and goats than they are like horses.  So not a guess I would think it safe to make - ask your vet, they usually know what is safe and not safe to give on an unlicensed basis.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:56:35 am »
thanx

Pigs are physiologically very close to humans.  Cattle are ruminants, more like sheep and goats than they are like horses.  So not a guess I would think it safe to make - ask your vet, they usually know what is safe and not safe to give on an unlicensed basis.

lol...i was talking about a measuring tape... ;) :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 09:16:35 am »
thanx

lol...i was talking about a measuring tape... ;) :D

hahahahahahahahHAHAHHAHAHA  !  That'll teach me to not (re)read the whole thread!  (I guess I thought we were on the metacam thread.)  Never mind, gave me and no doubt many others a laugh this morning.   :-[:)

Having said all of which - BH says cattle weigh completely differently to horses so I suspect it won't work for horses, no. ( I don't think they'll be like pigs, neither.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 09:40:20 am »
I use a set of electronic scales that can weigh to 2000kg...... much more accurate.....a round 7 months they should be around 100 kg or a little more.  It takes 6 motnhs to grow to bacon and weigh in at 115 kg.

Mind you my pigs are on self feeders for the whole of their young lives, with a change of paddocks rather than a change of feeds in the feeder.  The weight of the pig is determined and the change of pen is take when the desired  weight is reached.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:42:54 am by Blonde »

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 06:44:25 pm »
tell us more. blonde.
 i mean about changing paddocks not their feeds? do u mean they get more exercise or more natural food?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:22:16 am by princesspiggy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS