Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How dignified.  (Read 3401 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
How dignified.
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:12:59 pm »
Well we had a first time lamber today try to deliver a ram lamb nearly as big as herself and as big as our two week old twins. ::)
My husband was keeping an eye on her and suddenly shouted for me to come and give him a hand as this lamb was just too big, so we flipped her onto her back and out it slide with just a gentle pull from the OH. :P

Just a little trick that might prove invaluable to someone out there at this time of the year. :) :) :)
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: How dignified.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:39:30 pm »
I shall bear it in mind. But hope I don't need it :)

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:39:42 pm »
The same trick can be tried if one leg is sticking... that sounds bad... what i mean is if one leg is further forward and the other leg won't come out
Ian

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:48:02 am »
Thats interesting, waiting for my first timers any day now! why do you think putting them on their back helps?  ( am interested in any tips!)

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 05:52:54 pm »
My theory... and  it is just my theory... is that it eases pressure on the ewes pelvis allowing it to widen a touch more. I do only use this technique when there is a problem sometimes just rolling the ewe onto her other side works too. My old vet would lift a ewe by her back legs a few inches  for a hung lamb or bad prolapse letting gravity help ease things back to allow working on the problem

Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS